DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit! :mad: I just came home from taking my sister in law out to look at a car, and now I notice I have a little coolant leak. Me thinks its a little pin hole on the top rad hose (the one that connects to the thermostat) because there is a spot of rad fluid there, and no where else. No spray, no puddle, no nothing. The temp gauge doesn't flucuate (sp?) either. Oh well, I guess its $10 and some cursing in store for me.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
it doesnt fluctuate, yet, i had a pinhole leak by my thermostat too, i always smelled the coolant, but could never find it....until i overheated one night, after working 14 hours on my way home from work, and yes, there was a bunch of cursing and beer involved. (i'm not a drinker)

then i had to get it towed to the dealer for repair...luckily i have AAA

(this was in my '97, not my new one!)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm going to buy the hose myself and replace it too. I kinda like doing that kind of thing. I'm just not looking forward into getting my big ass hands cramped into that small of a space. Plus its supposed to be in the 90s with high humidity.

Oh well, I'd rather spend $10-20 and do it myself rather than $10-20 + labour at $65+ an hour for the dealer to do it. :)

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had a simliar incident, but it wasn't a full-blown leak.

Every so often in the spring, sometimes when I came to a stop, I would notice a slight haze raise from the front of the car. On some occasions I thought it was from condensation someplace. However, I could, on occasion, smell anti-freeze.

So one day I popped the hood and noticed the upper hose connected to the top-right (driver side) of the radiator was spongy and slightly coming off the inlet pipe. There was enough slack in that hose to cut off the soaked part and just re-tighten the hose clamp and that was it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Thrasher:
it doesnt fluctuate, yet, i had a pinhole leak by my thermostat too, i always smelled the coolant, but could never find it....until i overheated one night, after working 14 hours on my way home from work, and yes, there was a bunch of cursing and beer involved. (i'm not a drinker)

then i had to get it towed to the dealer for repair...luckily i have AAA

(this was in my '97, not my new one!)
Was that AA or AAA?

:D

·
Registered
533 Posts
You all were luckier than I was. I was on the way from Mich. to Wis. going through Chicago temp. shot way up. I stopped and put water in it. Nursed it home and took it to the dealer. (I had the car 3 months so it was warrantied). They tell me water pump toast. Luckily it didn't take out the timing chain. But while they were fixing that they replaced the power steering pump which they said was bad. I noticed no change. (Once I brought it back and had them press the pulley all the way on. Talk about shredding belts 3 belts in 2 months). Anyone else have power steering pump problems?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've thermostats in my trep so far. Seems to be fine now on the overheating situation (was from bad battery from shipping it to Italy). Now, I just got it out of the shop from having 3 fuel injectors replaced on the starboard side and now the ac dont work. I'm hoping it only needs freeon :confused:

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got it done. Took all of 30 minutes and cost $12.51 for the hose and $2.49 for a pack of clamps. It was a snap to install too. Just take off the black plastic thingy over the headlights, the crossmember that holds to hood latch and you have easy access. Thats all there is to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts