DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Intrepid 3.2L 150K. Did some work on the car.
1. Replace the o-ring under the lower intake.
2. Replaced the 6 fuel injectors with new ones.
3. Replaced lower intake and plenum gaskets.
4. Replaced thermostat and gasket,
5. Replaced upper and lower rad hoses.
6. Replaced rad drain plug.
7. Replaced water pump.
Note: Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idle wheel, were replaced at 105K.

1 day after the work I now get coolant dripping down on the front sway bar. Leaking between the trans and engine. Freeze plug?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
a freeze plug would be the side of the block.
if it seems between the block and trans, i'd figure a bad lower intake gasket, the dreaded o-ring, or an improperly clamped hose.
that's most of what would put it at the top.
take the air cleaner hose off and have a peak down at the back of the engine as to where the real source is. use a mirror if necessary.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
Maybe the heater pipe that's rusted out and sprung a leak? The one you replaced the O-Ring on.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Something up top like the o-ring under the LIM, heater supply pipe, or heater hoses didn't seal?

Oops - sorry Ron. Didn't see your post 'til later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Members, Thanks for the replys. The car is now at the local Dodge dealership. Going to let them take a look. One strange thing happened. I put the car up on ramps. Went under the car and wiped off all the splashed coolant. Started the car again, let it run for 30 mins. (No leaks). Once I rolled the car off the ramps it started leaking again. (between the trans and engine). weird..

·
Registered
127 Posts
are you in the northern part/rust belt of the US?

If so I would suspect the heater tube that goes from the side of the thermostat housing back above the starter and then has a couple hoses that go to the heater ect.

they do rust around a mounting tab and you can't really see it if you had the thermostat housing off for a new thermostat and you worked on or around the hoses in the back of the intake you very well could have disturbed things enough to cause a weak spot to start leaking.

those tubes are pain to install. mostly because its very cramped in that area and the tube doesn't fit between the CAT unit and starter. watch out for wires when you do it as well. easy to get a wire harness rerouted too close to the exhaust.

17 year old car could be bad hoses in that area too. thats about where all the heater and coolant tank hoses are as well.

good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer wants to remove the trans from the engine. Ouch.. I want them to verify it is not the lower intake gasket. (I did put RTV paste on the block and lower intake. (around the water jackets) per the service manual. Did I put too much on.. Could that affect the gasket?

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Too much RTV may cause some problems in certain situations (squishing over into things it's not supposed to be into, closing off ports that are supposed to be open, etc.), but it wouldn't prevent sealing where applied to a gasket.

...(I did put RTV paste on the block and lower intake. (around the water jackets) per the service manual...
The FSM doesn't say to put RTV there, though it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Incase, thanks for the info. I will check that pipe/hose. Part # 7 in the pic?
View attachment 30746
yes #7 is the part

$135 is about what I paid for for the 2 i've gotten with a bit of a discount from one of our local dealers (smaller Mom and Pop shop but give the best deals). I'm sure you can do better on line.

Like i mentioned. my 300M was leaking right behind the little V shaped tab that bolts the tube to the transmisison. The Intrepid wasn't leaking but was very rusty around the elbow so i changed it as preventative.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Chrysler P/N 4767150AC

Ebay has them:

Dorman @$75 incl. shipping (careful - Dorman's design, materials, and process quality is known to be very spotty)

OEM @$95 incl. shipping

·
Registered
14,746 Posts
Dealer wants to remove the trans from the engine. Ouch.. I want them to verify it is not the lower intake gasket. (I did put RTV paste on the block and lower intake. (around the water jackets) per the service manual. Did I put too much on.. Could that affect the gasket?
Why can't a coolant pressure test determine where the leak is coming from?

If it is leaking from the back side of the motor, you may want to remove the cowl to look if the top of the block has coolant leaking.

Removing the tranny for a coolant leak ....?..... wow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer still has the car. They did a pressure test. Some leakage from the thermostat, some leakage from the water temp sensor. I don't see how either of those could cause coolant to leak out between eng and trans. They said they did not see any coolant at the top of the bell housing. Dealer did say there are freeze out plugs on the side and back of the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer still has the car. The latest theory is the black pipe under the LIM is leaking. They want to replace the LIM and the black pipe. This is getting ugly.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Dealer still has the car. The latest theory is the black pipe under the LIM is leaking. They want to replace the LIM and the black pipe. This is getting ugly.
Strange that they want to replace the LIM. The pipe - yeah - have read of that happening (corrosion). Perhaps that dealer has witnessed the LIM itself going bad - maybe pitting where that o-ring is? Not sure I have read of that happening.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dealer still has the car. They did a pressure test. Some leakage from the thermostat, some leakage from the water temp sensor. I don't see how either of those could cause coolant to leak out between eng and trans. They said they did not see any coolant at the top of the bell housing. Dealer did say there are freeze out plugs on the side and back of the engine.
ANother thought. I've tinkered with our 2 LH cars quite a bit over the years.

I have noticed that depending on where the leak (or slopped out) is the antifreeze can flow along and IN the cradle members and drip out somewhere else like where you are seeing it. Just something to look for and rule out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure it would be the O-ring. I would think if that was it, the coolant would just collect in the valley between the heads, and not travel all the way to the back. My thought would either be the heater supply tube itself beginning to rust through where it comes out from under the LIM; or I also had a LIM gasket leak around the rear coolant port. In my case it was leaking into the nearby intake, causing a misfire in that cylinder, but it could just as easily be leaking externally. I guess it could also be a hairline crack in the LIM itself..but never heard of that happening. If it is, you could probably just get one from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i had that on my 95 new yorker. it was leaking from the intake at the rear passenger side.
a leak in the tube or o-ring will fill the valley and make it's way back, as the engine sits slightly lower in back. plus i think the drain provision is to the back(or maybe i'm thinking a different engine).
i can see why they want to do the tube AND lim from a mechanics perspective, especially if you're telling them all you've done and now have a leak.
like i said, take the air cleaner hose out of the way and get a light and a mirror and have a look around back there and determine where exactly the leak is.
if it's under the lim and in the valley, then it's probably under the lim or related to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts