DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK.. got the car back from the dealer (14 days). Dealer replaced the ITM, black pipe under ITM and oring. The car is dry. Dodge tech said the coolant was leaking down the from of the engine and the electric fans were blowing the coolant to the back of the engine. If the car stays dry, I am a beliver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4 years later. Are u still a believer. My 2004 3.5 intrepid is doing the same thing. Exactly as how you describe.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
4 years later. Are u still a believer. My 2004 3.5 intrepid is doing the same thing. Exactly as how you describe.
It's almost always the o-ring where that pipe plugs into the underside of the lower intake, or the pipe itself is rusted thru.

·
Registered
247 Posts
intake gaskets too. but you'll be replacing them when you do the oring anyways too.
but even if it's lower intake gaskets, replace the oring and check the tube for corrosion as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pulled the intake apart today. I did notice the mount bolts on the intake were hardly even tight and there was damage to the lower intake gasket, but that could've easily been the removal process. I did not see any coolant evidence that it was leaking from there though.

So I jacked up front end of the vehicle and inspected as best as i could with a flashlight and mirror. It was wet on the passenger side of the block by the freeze plugs but the freeze plugs looked fine. There was more wetness on the side of the transmission case. On the the driver's side, there was wetness around the thermostat area and the oil px sensing unit, but really no trail coming from the hose or the thermostat housing. Also there was wet areas on the steel lines that run back on the other side of the transmission case. The o-ring on the bottom of the intake looked good. When the car ran last, there was no leak until it got to normal operating temperature. I noticed water mist shooting up from the engine and it poured real good between the radiator and the front end of the transmission case when I turned the car off. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to where this leak is coming from. Right now, the front end is up on Jack's so when I get the intake manifold back together, I can check a bit better underneath the car. I just hope to god there is no crack in the block or s blown head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh btw..there was no pooling in those valleys between the heads, just a lot of dust and dirt. Here are some pics where I saw coolant splatter. By the trans case and around freeze plugs and on drivers side by the thermostat.
View attachment 40657

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok fwiw, I changed upper and lower IM gaskets, thermostat, water pump and timing belt. Now have to put everything back together, keeping fingers crossed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts