DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the car heats up, the coolant gets realllly hot and starts emptying itself through the overflow hose... Any ideas whats wrong? I saw a slight rainbow color in the antifreeze, maybe a little oil not sure... I need help car is not drivable!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with the cap off it just pours out. instead of going through the hose, it shot out of the open hole. Temp guage is normal until there is no coolant left. and yeah the rubber on the cap is torn and crap, but that cant be the prob when its not on!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reason they ^^ asked about the cap is that the reservoir has to keep pressure too. I believe it's a pressurized cap on the reserve tank.

Without pressurization water boils @ 212. Under pressure it boils at a higher point, and it's the same with coolant.

There's a reason the factory put that cap on there. They did not design it to run w/o a cap, everything will boil off like it does.

·
Registered
308 Posts
its supposed to shoot out of the tank with the cap off, that's why its called a pressurized system. buy a new cap and you'll be fine

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hmm so you guys really think it was the cap?? Where can I get one?? I went to autozone b4 and they didnt have one for my car?? I got a 1997 ES 3.5L.

Thanks for all the help guys!

(Edit): Im starting to think it is more than the cap causing the problem.. when the engine was warm, the coolant SPEWED out of the uncovered hole. Were talking a lot came out very fast. I dont know, a new cap just doesnt seem like its gonna fix it, hopefully it will though!

My engine always ran a little hot. always got up to half way in traffic and even while driving, so maybe it could be the cap?

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmm so you guys really think it was the cap?? Where can I get one?? I went to autozone b4 and they didnt have one for my car?? I got a 1997 ES 3.5L.

(Edit): Im starting to think it is more than the cap causing the problem.. when the engine was warm, the coolant SPEWED out of the uncovered hole. Were talking a lot came out very fast. I dont know, a new cap just doesnt seem like its gonna fix it, hopefully it will though!

My engine always ran a little hot. always got up to half way in traffic and even while driving, so maybe it could be the cap?
Read about radiator over pressurization and defective pressure cap that may destroy radiator at Radiatorinfo.com.

Maybe the above link will help explain the system.

·
Registered
141 Posts

You should be able to get one at any chrysler dealer (with OE you shouldn't have to worry about quality with aftermarket some brands are good and others are not). I believe Pep-boys also tends to have them if there is one near you (just make sure to get the regular kind not the lever vent ones those tend to have problems)

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should be able to get one at any chrysler dealer (with OE you shouldn't have to worry about quality with aftermarket some brands are good and others are not). I believe Pep-boys also tends to have them if there is one near you (just make sure to get the regular kind not the lever vent ones those tend to have problems)
Just what I was thinking. When all else fails, the dealer will have it. What, 10-15 bucks at the most?

Some places it just doesn't pay to try to save a buck. Keeping the car from overheating is one of them.
I have spent lots of time and effort with at least two cars I can recall, dealing with inadequate factory radiators. I finally rigged up overflows, and voila! Problem solved.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought a new pressure release cap at autozone for $7, car runs fine now!!!!

Also just did seafoam, it was smoking like CRAZY just idling... I live in condos, my neighbors are gonna love me in a few minutes when I take it for a ride lmao!!!

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to run the car at anything more than idle for about 20-30 minutes with Seafoam in the oil? I did the Amsoil treatment a few years ago and left it run for about 15-20 minutes before draining the oil. Put in new, cheap as hell, dino oil before the treatment to make sure it'd clean out as much as possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did the seafoam in the vacuum lines, not the oil. And once i added it i shut the car off and let it sit 25 minutes.

After the 25 minutes i drove it out of my condo complex and couldnt see the road in the rearview.. it was comical. people STARED haha

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you add coolant you have to bleed the system, the bleed valve it's on the thermostat housing open it until coolant comes out then close it

about the smoking like crazy thing, are you sure you don't have a blown head gasket

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you add coolant you have to bleed the system, the bleed valve it's on the thermostat housing open it until coolant comes out then close it

about the smoking like crazy thing, are you sure you don't have a blown head gasket
when you run any sort of cleaner through the engine, particularly seafoam it creates a ton of smoke until the cleaner is all burned out.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I thought the smokin' was Sea Foam related.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts