DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back of engine. Hard to tell as I can’t fully see. But it’s as peva said, it’s dripping towards the back, from the bottom.

Keeping a thing of coolant in the car for now, as it’s fricken cold out and I don’t have heated garage. And I’m in mid minnesota.

I’m looking at fel pro gaskets, around 30 bucks. Comes with two o rings? So I’m guessing that’s the heater o rings?
I can only tell you what I've experienced with this car. I have a 04 sxt since it was new.
I had coolant leak isues. Sounded very similar. I had just changed the radiator( from oreilly's) , the thermostat, and the hoses. I thought it might have been what you are looking at. It wasn't. Do yourself a favor. When you notice it is leaking, feel the bottom of the fill tank. if it is wet, it is either your tank or the cap. Mine was the cap, as I had just replaced the old tank. You said the there was no pressure and that piqued my interest. These cars have highly pressurized coolant systems. The caps wear out (or are defective) and the tanks wear out and are easily clogged or they leak. I would check this first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah! Like I was driving yesterday and stopped at holiday(gas station), to check my coolant, and I’m always able to open the cap. Like there’s virtually no pressure being kept in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah! Like I was driving yesterday and stopped at holiday(gas station), to check my coolant, and I’m always able to open the cap. Like there’s virtually no pressure being kept in
Uhuh. Your tank and or cap are leaking. I would start with an $8 stant cap. The tank is a little more expensive. you can remove the tank quite easily and check it. plug the ports. I think there are 3. Fill it with hot water and see if it's leaking. May just be the pressure cap.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
no pressure is because of the leak.
my 95 new yorker had lower gaskets go, and it was the same.
it only leaked while warming up, then pressure was relieved by the leak, and almost no more would leak.
didn't know i had a problem until the heat stopped working.
leaking at the back of the engine too when i went looking for it.
those o-rings in that kit look like they might be for the egr tubes
not for the heater tube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine only leaks when warming up, then I think when the thermostats opens, all the coolant is able to flow through easily, so leaking out the o ring isn’t an issue anymore when that happens.

Trying to find the damn rings are a pain in the ass. Especially when trying to get a gasket kit with them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
the egr rings are for pre 02.
gaskets being the same through all years, you may not find a gasket set without egr o-rings..
it may not be leaking around the o-ring either.
it may be lower gaskets gone bad.
it's common too.
they leak down the back as well.
but you should have the heater tube o-ring replaced anyways.
whether it's the problem or not..

·
Premium Member
18,326 Posts
I can only tell you what I've experienced with this car. I have a 04 sxt since it was new.
I had coolant leak isues. Sounded very similar. I had just changed the radiator( from oreilly's) , the thermostat, and the hoses. I thought it might have been what you are looking at. It wasn't. Do yourself a favor. When you notice it is leaking, feel the bottom of the fill tank. if it is wet, it is either your tank or the cap. Mine was the cap, as I had just replaced the old tank. You said the there was no pressure and that piqued my interest. These cars have highly pressurized coolant systems. The caps wear out (or are defective) and the tanks wear out and are easily clogged or they leak. I would check this first.
Good points about the cap and reservoir.

OP did say that he's getting drips ftom rear of engine (post nos. 8 & 15), which is almost certainly the LIM o-ring or rusted-thru heater core supply tube.

But it wouldn't be surprising if more than one of these age-related metal corrosion and rubber/plastic degradation problems hits at the same time. So - yeah - check all of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well I know the Fel Pro gasket kit that Peva mentioned, is the one I’m going to get. It’s just a matter of finding the damn heater supply o ring.

I’m hoping the pipes aren’t rusted either though

·
Premium Member
18,326 Posts
Well I know the Fel Pro gasket kit that Peva mentioned, is the one I’m going to get. It’s just a matter of finding the damn heater supply o ring.

I’m hoping the pipes aren’t rusted either though
I put an edit at the end of post no. 16 saying that I now realize that the blue donuts in the Flex-Pro set ARE the LIM o-ring (but I don't know why they put two of them in the kit).

·
Premium Member
18,326 Posts
Someone else said they are probably for the EGR?
Well poop!! That would explain why there are two in the kit. Maybe try a 116 o-ring. At 70 years old, this would explain why I no longer own 20+ year old vehicles any more (except for my 1985 F150). 🤷‍

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Lmao you're all good dude. You've helped this community so fricken much! We all appreciate it! Way better than always having to tear an engine apart to figure what's wrong or pay a shop to figure out an issue and be balls deep in bills.

Side note and off topic, I took off the timing belt cover and belt, and the belt looked brand new, inspected it all around and no cracks or brittle areas. To my knowledge it's the original Mopar orange belt. Put it back on and everything is good(Obviously got it set in time). Whenever I get decent money, I'm gonna replace it and the pump with a metal impeller one.

I want to tackle the LIM and o rings as soon as the weather warms up.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,893 Posts
You can get the O-Ring separately from the dealer or even Summit Racing for $3.99 each.

6505692AA

Is The Dodge part # for that O-Ring.

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
18,326 Posts
You can get the O-Ring separately from the dealer or even Summit Racing for $3.99 each.

6505692AA

Is The Dodge part # for that O-Ring.
Woohoo! There ya go.

·
Premium Member
18,326 Posts
So I’m changing the o ring now. Does anyone know the diameter for the o ring besides 162? Or is that universal for all o rings in the 162 lineup
I'm confused. Are you talking about the LIM-to-heater core supply tube ring gasket?

Where did this 162 number come from? I'm not seeing it previously mentioned in this thread.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts