DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I finally tackled the leak. Getting ready to bolt everything back up.

Lower intake gaskets were done for. But the o ring on the heater supply tube looked okay, but I replaced it anyways. Would the lower intake gaskets being ate through, cause coolant to leak towards the back of the engine?? My guess is, it would cause a pretty decent leak. As I was loosing almost all my coolant overnight

heater supply tube has little to no rust on it. Only thing is the black paint is peeling

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I started the car up and everything was going fine. Started it back up after trying to bleed the air and I get this weird clunkish sound before it turns over. Turned it off and back on, clunk goes away but shakes for a few seconds before mellowing out.

min guessing maybe the fuel injectors didn’t all go fully into each hole?? Or the computer is trying to relearn mixtures, since I cleaned out the EGR tube, and tons of gunk that was blocking someone of the intake holes??

coolant temp says it’s fine but I’m not getting full heat in the car yet.

any and all advice would be wonderful, as the car only has 141k miles on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’m pretty sure I found the source of the leak. There’s an HVAC tube, that goes from the thermostat towards the back of the engine. And around the 90 degree bend, I see coolant streaming down from it. It’s rusted as all hell.

the only replacement part I can find is the dorman part number 626-310. Kinda iffy on buying it, as all dorman products are cheap Chinese parts.

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Intrepid with 3.5L Engine
53 Posts
I've been chasing a coolant leak on my 1996 Intrepid 3.5L for months. It never left any puddles beneath the car until one day when it finally did. The puddle was directly below the coolant reservoir. I took the tank off and found a small pinhole near the outlet at the bottom. Seems like the the leak was turning to vapor and evaporating (as someone mentioned in an earlier post) until the pinhole actually got big enough to leak. The leak got very bad while waiting for my replacement to arrive.

I was OK for about three weeks, then developed another leak that I couldn't locate. The reservoir would empty to just below the outlet on the bottom, but never fully empty. Finally, this past weekend, I was recharging my A/C. The engine was running the entire time I had been recharging. After finishing and backing the car out of the garage, there was a huge puddle at the front end of the car in the middle. Armed with this information, I started checking the area of the car where the leak was coming from. I found a small drop of coolant on the water pump. It didn't bother me too much as I had been planning to replace the timing belt (along with the water pump) in the next couple of weeks.

RE: your cap. I had replaced a defective one on the old tank with one from the dealer and used it for only about a year until I needed to replace the reservoir. It's off a 1996 3.5L, so I'm not sure if it would work on your Intrepid. But it's your if you want it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts