DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since some of us members have posted a home build or update project. I thought this would be a good one with plenty of pictures.

If you see me posting, wait 20 minutes until this thread is done. The project is done - for now.

I started right after Christmas and told the Wife if we are done by the start of February - then we did good. All in all - that happened. Man this fireplace cranks out the BTU's. Was $620.00, bought it for $520.00 off Amazon, then two days later is was listed at $440.00. I contacted Amazon - they said sent it back, re-order it at the new price ($440.00). When I explained the size and shipping costs, talked to a reasonable manager who said "We'll credit the difference - don't sent it back". Finally, someone with a brain. Now time to install.

Onto the build!

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's our converted carport into a living room from the previous owner. Kids have to Rock.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On to nowadays...

The current set-up - not much has changed. The door needed to be moved to the left side to make room for the angle wall.

Here is the tear down...

Now with the old 32" frame back in

There's a large concrete stoop from being a carport - has to go for a smooth wall.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once we realize the 32" door frame took much room, removal of the beer frig was the deciding factor for a new door width. A 28" pre-hung interior door was bought and installed.

Here is the wall with the door moved over and the drywall up.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the door was moved over - time to plan what we want.

My Wife's "Marching Orders" were:
TV on top
Mantle
Fireplace below
Brick face
NO WIRES!

So we started to layout the wall angle...

Here's the bottom wall after the brick stoop has been banged out.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then cutting of the carpet for the new wall.

Mock build of the fireplace -

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once the fireplace height was determined, off to build the frame work. It was too big to build outside to move inside - so, I had to build it inside and be able to tilt it upwards and not snag the room ceiling.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had to anchor the base into the concrete - ram nails does the trick.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So we began determining the mantle height and TV height. The TV mount that I bought had four holes for screws, so I put 4 of 2" x 4"'s vertical to maximize the holding power.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again - for the record - much beer was drank and much "ugh's" were had between me and my Wife. We got thru it - my liver didn't.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok - now for the rock / tile / stone. we decide on a stone from Lowes. Looks nice and is real stone. Had to buy a diamond cut off wheel for the 4-1/2" grinder, mixer rod, and dust masks.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being in the cities - I found an old school lumber yard in Norfolk. Went there - B.S. with them and got a custom cut mantle to my spec with two large pieces as the corbel. Less than $75.00 for white oak.

Here it is being cut.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once the mounting heights were determined, on to the drywall... I HATE drywall.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mind you - marching orders were NO WIRES.

In the picture below - I had the drill thru the header boards the the wires from the new wall and drill thru the header boards of the wall to the left. Ordered special wall outlets, run the wires up and over - so the TV is to the right - all the outputs (DVR, FOIS) are to the left behind the chair and plant.

If you look hard enough, inside the fireplace opening, there's a new outlet. I ran a 15 amp wire from the fuse box to handle the fireplace amp draw.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time to get our "Depressing on"

Here's the mantle length against the the wall length.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After de-stressing the mantle, it was stained and had to figure out the mounting method.

This large beam weights almost a 100 LBS. So I decided to use qty 4 of the 1/2" lag bolts x 8' long. I created a jig that had four thru holes were I could pre-drill the wall and pre-drill the beam on the same plane.

This method worked very well.

I used concrete snot to hod the mantle on the cut off head lag bolts. Many large hammers were needed.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here;s a picture of the jig when pre drilling the back side of the mantle. The jig was 'set' from the underside on the wall and mantle.

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well - during all of this - you gotta smoked some cheese.... :Rockin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts