DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I clean up the inside of my wheels? the car came from the White Plains NY area so I guess road salt is the problem. The finish on the inside of the rims is cracked and flaking and the inside center sections show powdery corrosion.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Really not a whole lot you can do unfortunantly. The white corrosion is to aluminum what rust is to iron. One member on here stripped all 4 wheels completely and had them powder coated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Megatrep is right. I'm a metallurgical engineer, and the chrome-plated aluminum wheels are a real problem once corrosion begins. It doesn't take salt to make it start. I should probably check my electrochemistry chart again, but the dissimilar metals of chrome and aluminum set up a galvanic reaction. Aluminum, being less noble than chrome, will corrode sacrificially to the chrome. So, once corrosion starts, it's hard to stop it due to the galvanic process.

If the chrome completely covers the aluminum everywhere, at all times, it's OK, but once the coating is broken, it's a pain. I had the chrome-plated wheels on my '99 LHS, and I wouldn't want them again. The tires were always leaking around the bead (or valve stem) due to the corrosion buildup. With air in the tires, there's a fresh source of oxygen leaking out to enhance the corrosion. Short of the full recoating idea, you might be able to clean it up, spray it with a clear lacquer to protect the aluminum, use a bead sealer when the tires are mounted and have them filled with nitrogen. The nitrogen won't add to the corrosion because there won't be any oxygen available.

Good luck!

I haven't personally tried this, but scientifically, it could work. Hope that explains why these wheels can be such a problem. If anyone tries this fix, let me know if it works.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Really not a whole lot you can do unfortunantly. The white corrosion is to aluminum what rust is to iron. One member on here stripped all 4 wheels completely and had them powder coated.
That was me, it was a huge Pain in the ASS! Depending how bad they really are, you're pretty much better off getting another set of wheels if they are to the point that they leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts