DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the plugs with Bosch platinums. Interesting design.

However, mileage around town is lousy. around 16-17mpg , Highway not too bad, around 24-25

I read somewhere,,,here maybe, that certain plugs don't work well in the first generation intrepid. mine is a 93- 3.3L . the ignition system is designed to fire the plugs on the exaust stroke as well?? Correct?

The old set of plugs, were missing badly, the gap was huge,, so these plugs lived a good long life. replaced the wires too..equally bad shape.

My recent state emissions show that I passed, but barely. Mechanic says it was probably plugs. Air filter was cruddy. I replaced that. But keep in mind that this is with the NEW plugs.

Though this is a high mileage car, at 185K, it still runs very well, does not burn oil. I know I could at least get 20 around town at one point.

Any thoughts?.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey..thanks for the quick reply.

I did notice a marked improvement in performance..considering I was getting used to the poor performance from the old plugs, then the eventual miss fires. Examination of the old plugs showed that you could drive a truck through the gap.. it was large enough to the point that it must be one hell of a spark to bridge that gap!

I guess it can't hurt to stop by the dodge dealer and pick up a set..or perhaps use Champions??

I don't mind shorter life plugs, considering the price.. and the mileage on the engine. I am not performance minded, just reliability and fuel economy.

What is the plug gap supposed to be on a 3.3 from 1993??

Thank you

-dave

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Bosch plugs suck...I have never had anyone say that they liked them. NGK is the only other plug on my shitlist, after I tried them and they worked good for about 2 months. I say run the Champions that came stock and you will be fine, and judging from the year, its just the plain old copper plugs that will work best. Platinum plugs don't always help and sometimes run worse when put into a car that didn't have platinum originally.

edit: your plug gap should be .035 or .050, depending on whether you want better cold weather startup (.035) or more fire (.050)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a 92 Caravan with the 3.3L engine and the plug gap is .050". It should be the same in a LH application. According to my Caravan FSM, the spark plug voltage ia about 40K volts so yes, it can fire a large gap.

I am using Bosch +2 plugs in the Caravan because it is a royal PITA to change the plugs in the rear bank. The platinum plugs will last much longer than ordinary plugs and the engine seems to like them. Very smooth and quite "peppy". Gas mileage seems to be about what it always has been; 16 MPG in mostly city driving and about 25 highway. Most of my city driving is short trip and the engine doesn't get hot enough so 16 seems very good to me.

Platinum plugs seem to be a "no-no" in the 3.5L engine. I've not tried them in my 95 LHS and run Champion golds gapped at .035" instead because of all the bad publicity about platinum plugs on this site and also at the Allpar site. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say you all have adjusted my attitude on the platinums. Thanks for the advice. Champions it is. I'll swap them out this weekend.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oxygen Sensors?

One thing that will kill mileage is a poorly performing oxygen sensors. With that many miles, you may want to replace them. If you do, use OEM parts, NOT Bosch!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
dskalish said:
Hey..thanks for the quick reply.

I did notice a marked improvement in performance..considering I was getting used to the poor performance from the old plugs, then the eventual miss fires. Examination of the old plugs showed that you could drive a truck through the gap.. it was large enough to the point that it must be one hell of a spark to bridge that gap!

I guess it can't hurt to stop by the dodge dealer and pick up a set..or perhaps use Champions??

I don't mind shorter life plugs, considering the price.. and the mileage on the engine. I am not performance minded, just reliability and fuel economy.

What is the plug gap supposed to be on a 3.3 from 1993??

Thank you

-dave
with a 3.3 engine the plugs should be gapped at .050" there never was any change recommended for this specification. I've never had any problem whatsoever using champion copper. I don't know what difference there is in the life expectancy of copper vs platinum, but spark plugs are not a high priced item and very easy to replace on the 3.3. I replace mine once a year (about 18,000 miles in my case) even though they are still in great shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts