DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a conversion on my 02 trep 2.7 put in a 02 300 3.5ho motor 2002 also i wanna put the ecm of that car too cause my car runs like crap if i change the ecm i know it wont start cause the vin dont match what if i also change the bcm also off they same car including the ecm ?????

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You'd also need the keys and the SKIM unit, so that the parts all match, thus the ECM will think it is still in the 300

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
it is located around the ignition cylinder; reads the coded key signature and sends the info to the BCM & PCM, that allows the units to activate the start sequence.
You can keep your own keys, you just need to tape the donor key to the SKIM so that it thinks the correct key is being used. If you already have sentry key, you'd need to locate the donor pieces well away from the ignition so as to avoid any false signals.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The skim has to read the mated key for it to send the random signal to the BCM & PCM. In order that you don't have to change every lock in your car to match the donor key, the easiest way to solve it is to tape the key to the SKIM (Sentry Key Imobilizer Module) thus it will "think" the correct key has been inserted in the ignition, when in fact you are using your original one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you've got access to all these parts I think you should consider using the skim key for the ignition and use your old key for the doors/trunk, you'll add a sentry key immobilizer to your car and have seperate keys for the doors/trunk and ignition, an extra security level. Your practically doing all the needed work, so its not that much of a leap to do it all.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Some REALLY important questions

Torontofirecaptain said:
it is located around the ignition cylinder; reads the coded key signature and sends the info to the BCM & PCM, that allows the units to activate the start sequence.
You can keep your own keys, you just need to tape the donor key to the SKIM so that it thinks the correct key is being used. If you already have sentry key, you'd need to locate the donor pieces well away from the ignition so as to avoid any false signals.

Ok, so if I get a matching SKIM module and PCM, do I need to change my BCM?
And what module holds the odometer data?

And would it be even remotely possible for a dealer to change the VIN in a used PCM?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Most techs say they can not change the vin on the DRBIII, but have recently fiddled with it and found a way to change the vin on the pcm from a vehicle coming to the shop with an incorrect vin. So it is possible.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You also need to be sure to get the SKIM module that came with the donor keys - it plugs into the back of the BCM.

You'd be well advised to read the section on the RKE/SKIM that is in the service manual, it details the operation.
It also explains the available reprogramming necessary.
Problem you may have, is whether a dealer will actually do it for you, even though, as mentioined above, it can be done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my ecm is not powering 4 injectors, so the car barely runs, so i want to change it, i bought a ecm from the wreckers from a intrepid 2002 3.5, mine is a 2002 intrepid 3.5 was a 2.7, i tried that one and of course she wont start and after 6 times she wont crank, is there a poss way they can change the vins# on that 1 to change to mine so it will start. if not should i get mine repaired if so where i dont know anyone, and if not i should go back to that wreckers car and get the rest of the things i need, all i have is the ecm, if i get the bcm will it start? if not can you tell me what i need and where everything is located thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
When you say ecm you mean the module in the engine bay in front of the fuse/power center?

If so, dealers possibly other shops, can change the vin, per post above but they may not do it some 'policy' or in order to sell you a new one or repair your old one.

Repairing it if it can be fixed should happen at a dodge dealership or chyrsler dealer, other shops MIGHT be able to do it I don't know but those are your best bets for equipment/compentancy/experience. If it can be repaired it might be as simple as a software flash/update I don't know.

If you want to go back for the other parts, skim module BCM the skim is a cylinder shaped device with a squarish backing and should be next to the ignition lock cylinder. The BCM, from my parts reference is around the glovebox area, haven't actually been in there enough to have seen it. I think I had a source that said it was behind the junction box driver's kickpanel, not sure though.

Odometer, mileage is stored in the BCM along with the vin# again, your problems are probably because the ecm you got has the other car's vin# in it, I can't check my references to see if it has any access to the skim/sentry key data now, off to work, but I don't believe it does.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The problem is not that the VIN is different, it is because the donor PCM is not reading the correct key codes that it needs, it thinks you are trying to steal the car.
Now that it has gone though the full "kill" sequence, it is doubtful that you can get it to work even with the keys that came with it from the donor car. Read the service manual as I mentioned above, it tells in there what is necessary if the system fails that way, and how the system is designed to work.
You may be able to find someone that can reflash the PCM, D/C says that it cannot be done, but I would think that is not necessarily 100% true. The problem is finding a dealer that will A) do it; B) know HOW to do it; C) not charge you the price of a new PCM
You first need to see what the actual injector problem is. If your original PCM still works, try swapping a couple of injectors around and see if the code shows the same location or a different one, that way you will eliminate faulty injector possibility.
If you do need another PCM, make sure you get one from a non-SKIM car this time. Take the other one back where you got it, and explain the situationthat it will not work in a non-SKIM car to them. Maybe they will be sympathetic and swap you for the correct one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
TFC is right I checked my manual and in replacing the pcm it mentions having to renter skim key data/codes as well as updating the mileage for the car's actual miles.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did you ever fix your situation with the hacked engine harness?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
xrental by the way i changed the engine harness today and STILL the same thing SO if i go back to the wreckers and get a non skim ecm it will start the car cause the non skim doesnt need a code, what year trep or ? car do i find a nonskim ecm dont they all have them, i thought maybe like a 96 97 98 year range might not have them but mine is a 2002 i think they all have them ??????

·
Registered
843 Posts
Pre 98 anything will not work,wrong generation. I think you got a tough issue here and I still dont believe its the PCM unless your PCM is faulty in general. Not to sound dumb here but did you check to see if the injectors are getting a pulse or perhaps the injectors are frozen.

The fact that you did get her running well for as little time as it may have been, makes me think that its somthing simple and stupid being overlooked.

The one thing that comes to mind is that in the mess of a old harness you had you may have fried the PCM or any other electical item controlled by the PCM.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,357 Posts
You need an ecm from a 2002 or newer car. 1998-2001 had a seperate PCM and TCM. The PCM is what you're calling an ECM. In 2002 the PCM and TCM were combined into one unit. From 2002 and later they are all that way. You're best bet for a non SKIM PCM(ECM) is a 2002-2004 Intrepid SE or a 2002-2004 Intrepid SXT. It's also likely a number of 2002-2004 Intrepid ES models didn't have SKIM. Any other PCM earlier than 2002 will NOT FIT nor connect. If the donor car has a key with a gray plastic head on it it is a SKIM equipped transponder key. All non transponder, non SKIM keys will have a black plastic head on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
they all have that big plastic keys i never seen 1 yet its posted that i can use an 2002 to 2004 rt ecm is that true x i did put power to them i hear a click when i did she wont start when i put quick start spray in the throttle it starts i got 5 diff codes saying that 5 injectors arent workin

·
Woober Goobers!
50,357 Posts
The R/T was discontinued after 2002. I have a 2002 R/T and it has SKIM. If you find a 2003 R/T be sure to let us all know about it. The plastic is Gray for a SKIM transponder key and Black for one that's not SKIM. I've given you all the info that you need for the PCM. Otherwise I can't help you any further.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts