DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend's 04 SXT has developed a crack on the passenger side of the dash... on top of the airbag - is this common? would this be covered under warranty?? She hasn't had the car for two years yet and she is pissed.... so any info before we go to the dealership would be appreciated!

TIA

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Yah...Id get that looked at seeing as yours is a 2004 and probably still under warrenty.

I must say though this is the first time I have heard of Intrepid second gen dashs cracking. I know it happens quite often with the 300ms.

--Gorm

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Ron, I have the definitive answer....

YES

My dash developed a crack in that groove over the airbag and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Hope you are still under the 3/36. They took out the black trim piece in front of it to perform the swap. It never seemed to sit properly after that. Now out of warranty, the black trim piece has developed a large crack on the drivers end. I'll have to fight to get it replaced for free.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Mine had a horrible crack in the same spot. Of course being a '98, it was way out of warranty. It grew from a hairline crack about a centimeter long to about 8 inches long in about 6 months.
Here's a pic of the old dash's nasty crack all patched up with epoxy (and btw, don't ever waste your money on one of those "vinyl dash repair kits"...they suck!)

And this was the last I ever saw of that old dash...waiting for the trash man to pick up...

I'll tell you I'm an expert at removing and installing these 2nd gen dashs now! Did it once a year ago to replace my evaporator. I can pull one in about an hour or less. (took me about 30 min. to yank the one out at the junkyard!) LOL
Anyway, if you're still under warranty, then whats the worry? Let the dealer "deal" with it...

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Umm...thats no where close to where teh airbag will come out.

Thats on top of the dashpad.

The common airbag crack is about an inch to two inches above the glovebox lid.

--Gorm

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Gorm said:
Umm...thats no where close to where teh airbag will come out.

Thats on top of the dashpad.

The common airbag crack is about an inch to two inches above the glovebox lid.

--Gorm
No ****, if the bag came out of the top of the dash, it would go right out the windshield! LOL Wouldn't do us any good then now would it? The first post described a crack "on top of the airbag" Not "where the air bag comes out"

But it is exactly above where the airbag mounts to the dash underneath. The top mounts of the airbag are right where you see my crack begin (closest to the passenger) Believe me, I had to take a the bag out of a dash at the junkyard (in order to get the dash for $65) and transfer my airbag to the new(er) dash. It is my theory that the weight of the airbag hanging there, with a little help from 8 years of hot FL sun caused the crack.
Frankly I don't see how the airbag could cause a crack where you described, unless it had actually deployed. It doesn't rest there or have any forward pressure against this area. "common airbag crack"??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try to get a picture of her dash crack.... now we have to schedule with the dealer to get the dash replaced - whihc is going to be a hassle - time without the car, etc... Not to mention everytime we bring it in for something they fight about it!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
yea i have that curly air bag cover. afraid the airbag will pop out of it. It like lifts up on the right side. dont really wanna mess with it. I think from the weather conditions caused it to curl up. from like heat then cold then heat again. i tried pressing it down and fitting it back in but. im just leaving it alone.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
No ****, if the bag came out of the top of the dash, it would go right out the windshield! LOL Wouldn't do us any good then now would it? The first post described a crack "on top of the airbag" Not "where the air bag comes out"
You would be surpised the number of cars I see now adays where teh airbag does come out out of that top position of the dash.

--Gorm

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Ron I know exactly what you are talking about. In that groove that runs horizontally across the dash above the A/C vents. My dealership has been great about in warranty repairs. Even did a good will alignment for me. I am talking with their new service manager about replacing the cracked black defroster cover piece that is in front of the dash pad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
stroise said:
yea i have that curly air bag cover. afraid the airbag will pop out of it. It like lifts up on the right side. dont really wanna mess with it. I think from the weather conditions caused it to curl up. from like heat then cold then heat again. i tried pressing it down and fitting it back in but. im just leaving it alone.

yeah, mine too. but you could jump up and down on your dash all day and the airbag wouldn't go off. the only way it would is if you hit something at 30 mph or faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup - that's the place!! It is so discouraging that these things keep happening with the car. She does love the car, but with the amount of crap we have had to endure - she keeps wondering if it is worth it. She keeps comparing her 04 Intrepid to my 01 300M - and saying that my car does not have the issues that her car does. I guess we will have to see what the dealership is willing to do about it - when we get some time to get the car down there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts