DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there. I am a newbie to the site. I have a 95 Chrysler LHS with 112K miles that I have had for 2 and a half years. Earlier this week my girlfriend and I had taken an afternoon trip to her parents house (about 30 minutes away). When we were heading home later that night, I got off the interstate and pulled up to a stoplight. When I let off the brake to go when the light turned the car died. I put it in neutral and it started up perfectly. Put it back in drive and dies again. I finally ended up having to have AAA tow me up to the shop that I use for repairs. I call them in the morning to get them to check it out and they looked at it all day. What did they find???Nothing! They drove it around some and didn't even have any problems with it dying. I went ahead and drove it home and ran a few close errands with no problems. I then drove to work the next two days without any problems (I work less than two miles away from my apartment). I looked around online some and I am wondering if this occasion would be symptomatic of a crankshaft position sensor? Anyone else had anything like this happen? I usually take a couple of longer trips a month to see my son and his grandmother and I just want to feel a little more comfortable about heading out with it! Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
an additional footnote

One thing about it, my check engine light has not come on and it was not showing any codes. Shop said that one thought was that coming off the interstate, the transmission did not shift out of overdrive, and that was the cause of it dying. If that was the case, then how was I able to take it out of gear and put it in neutral? Then when I put it in neutral it would start, but the second I go into drive, it died! Then the next day it was like nothing was wrong whatsoever! This shop recommended me checking with a transmission shop but I am just not convinced that this could be a transmission problem. Help please!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
MPR14CW said:
I'm interested if you found anything out about what the problem is with your LHS. Anyone else have anything to add to help here? -CW
I did experience a lock-up torque converter problem about 10 years ago with my Chevy Beretta that may be somewhat similar to this situation.

Apparently a sensor was malfunctioning which caused the torque converter lock-up to not disengage when the car's speed dropped below the point where it should have (about 60-70 km per hr). The result is that when I came to a stop the Beretta would stall when I tried to accelerate because the lock-up was acting something like a 4th gear when the car should have been in 1st gear. The fix was indeed the replacement of this sensor in the torque converter/tranny.

Given that your Intrepid seems to be working ok again perhaps you have a corroded/loose wire to/from the tranny that started giving odd signals to the computer after having been driving highway speeds for a while. Worth having a diagnostic done at a tranny shop as a precaution IMHO. :grinno:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remove any trany connector you can find clean with electrowash and apply either a contact claner or dielectric. This worked on my friends caravan. Same transmission. Or it's a transmission module problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.