DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I FORGOT TO POST :mad:
Well anyways, has anybody had any problems with their 3.5 ltr crankshaft sensor? I think that I am. My car shakes in idle. Someone from another DI site stated that I will need to clean off the crap from inside the sensor? Does that sound right to anybody. Does anyone know where it is located? The HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL states that it is around the bell housing. What the hell is the bell housing!!! Is that near the passenger side, near the trannny. I do have an illustration of this loacation, but another illustration shows that it is in the front of the engine, right next to the radiator hose? Lastly, I was also told that this sensor has somekind of magnet that picks-up particals? I am hopefull that some of you guys can really help me out with this :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hold on to your britches baby,
Sounds like my post you are quoteing (I posted it on allpar as well). I posted that one should clean the CAMSHAFT sensor. This is different from the crankshaft sensor. Yes the crankshaft sensor is on or near the tranny. If you open your hood, on the right side of the motor near the alternator (or radiator hose) there is a black sensor poking down into the timing belt housing. This is your camshaft sensor. Simply unscrew 1 bolt holding it in. Remove the sensor and clean any metal or grease off of it. It is magnetic so it will attract metal. When I cleaned mine, it made a world of difference for idle. If you have a lot of miles chances are it is full. Also make sure you disconnect your battery before doing this. I hope this helps. ;)

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Mopar4U ]

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I might try that! My idle isnt amazing irratic but its not perfect... Off the top of your head do you know if its roughly in the same position as a 3.5 conisdering I have the 3.3.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
si, the chilton's says that the cam position sensor is located in the front of the timing case cover, directly under the upper radiator hose near the thermostat housing. if i had a scanner i'd scan the pics in but i hope that helps anyway. it also says to unhook the wiring harness from the part, unbolt the retaining bolt then take the part out. i assume you reinstall the same way in reverse order. be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing this.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sweet... thanks 97, I`ll give it a whirl tonight!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by babyalex27:
(mopar4you) Dude, you have helped me alot. I will try to do this tomorrow :D :D
Hey, that's what it's all about.

I'm not guaranteeing results becuase there could be other things wrong with your car. But hell, it's free, and it worked for me. As posted before, I would throw a bottle of marvel mystery oil fuel cleaner in the gas tank as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cleaned my sensor of as well back when my timing belt tensioner went...The thing was covered with tons of little metal particles, grease and dirt..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you check the codes that the computer gives you? I haven't been having rough idles are anything but recently when I would downshift to L gear and get on it, in high RPM's it would flutter and the tach would jump up and down and sometimes the car would just die on me! It scared the living piss out of me. I get home and checked the codes and it gave me a 12 54 55 which is the camsensor error. I'm getting a new one, might as well. I hope it fixes it......I guess things are getting ready to go wrong left and right on this car, but she still shines... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts