DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace all the '04 Coil Spring Insulators. I think I remember the rears are OK to do with a set of spring compressors, but I remember the fronts are especially hard. (They may require a specialty tool or a different spring compressor.)

Question: Has anyone tried letting the body compress the spring, release the strut nut and then lifting the body up? It seems like it would work...

Reassembling would require some careful positioning, but it seems it would work too. (Perhaps with a few sailor words of reassembly encouragement! o_O)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
I think it would be difficult to re-assemble by lowering the car onto it. Too many things to get lined up, and if things go wrong, you can get hurt and do lots of damage. But you might prove me wrong.

I can tell you that this spring compressor worked well when I did my front struts: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
The more common, compact ones that Advance and O'Reilly's loan out wouldn't work. I tried them. The OD of the spring end supports kept the compressor hooks that engage the spring coils from reaching the the coils to hook reliably. Notice that the main screws of the compressor that I'm suggesting sit a ways back from the u-clamps that hook to the spring coils, and the attachment to the coils is positive - can't slip off.

YMMV

·
Woober Goobers!
51,108 Posts
DonK...ever the "Cheap Bassturd" !! Just get the loaner like Bill indicates or buy one!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can tell you that this spring compressor worked well when I did my front struts: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
The more common, compact ones that Advance and O'Reilly's loan out wouldn't work. I tried them. The OD of the spring end supports kept the compressor hooks that engage the spring coils from reaching the the coils to hook reliably. Notice that the main screws of the compressor that I'm suggesting sit a ways back from the u-clamps that hook to the spring coils, and the attachment to the coils is positive - can't slip off.
Yes, this one looks good.
Advance spring compressor
It definitely fits the category of "a different spring compressor". And yes, the issue was that the screws of the cheap compressors interfere with the strut hardware. Lisle to the rescue!

I found it online at Home Depot (of all places) for a good price.
Lisle 62300 Spring compressor

Thanks!

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
Yes, this one looks good.
Advance spring compressor
It definitely fits the category of "a different spring compressor". And yes, the issue was that the screws of the cheap compressors interfere with the strut hardware. Lisle to the rescue!

I found it online at Home Depot (of all places) for a good price.
Lisle 62300 Spring compressor

Thanks!
Ahh yes - much better price. Good find.

Advance has high prices, and with their codes you can sometimes bring the price down to being competitive. So you spend extra time do extra work with the codes just to find out it's still cheaper elsewhere.

I see that Rock Auto has it at $45, but plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see that Rock Auto has it at $45, but plus shipping.
From RockAuto: "0.66" Diameter U-Bolt Opening"
This is the only place I found the critical nugget of information. Even the Lisle Corp website didn't specify it.

Thankfully, it fits my .58" springs, so I ordered one... :)

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a great tip, I didn't know they made this tool. I had an issue with the Advance spring compressor when I replaced the strut mounts a year ago. It was such a PITA to take them apart.

Reactions: peva
1 - 9 of 9 Posts