DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im kinda getting fed up now...i brought in my car for an emmisions test and it failed horribly...i had a check engine code for an o2 sensor so i changed it..i got it retested adn it went down half way...still fail...so i changed the spark plus air filter and put in injector cleaner, andd a hose that was totally eaten up...still fail...i have no idea waht to do next...what could cause me to be running too riich?!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What year is your car, 95 and older have two O2 sensor's, 96 and new have 4.
Did you change the PCV valve too. Or you could have a sticky EGR Valve....

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Also, there is two other things that affect the air/fuel mixture, the coolant temp sensor and MAP sensor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found that the pcv valve tube was all rotten away..so pretty much there was no tube ..but that didnt make a difference
changed one of the o2 sensors too

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
yes, but what about the other o2 or other 3 o2 sensors? how are they?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
could be but ya never know, what yr is your car?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
No more codes coming up ? If not, I'd look into the EGR system. Oh, is the temp of the engine coolant appear to be ok ? Does it appear to be normal, not to cold or hot? Just thinking....

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Then the olny thing left that I can think of is the EGR Valve.

J

·
0 Posts
Yes. EGR valve is your emissions component. I think that's what caused you to fail emissions in the first place.

Call the MOPAR supercenter. They are great guys.
Jeff Hunter, Ted, Joel, Jeff or Will.

Ask for this part number:
4663229 EGR Valve AB Valve EXH.
MSRP is $157.00, They sold it to me for $121.88.

It comes with a solenoid and all vacuum hoses attached. It also comes with gasket to block. But, it does not come with gasket to brass intake plenum pipes. So, when replacing, keep that gasket that goes to the two metal pipes in the back of your intake plenum.

You will need to take the intake plenum off when replacing, but I can almost guarantee you that you will pass emissions after that. Do the key code check on your car, If it comes with code 32, that's your EGR.

**IMPORTANT** While you are at it, order also intake plenum gasket, since this needs to be replaced everytime plenum is removed, part is

4556556 Gasket PL (9001004 this is new catalog # I think)
MSRP $2.60, sold it to me at $2.02

You could do the other maintenance if ya got the money since you're already taking plenum off, like spark plugs ..
If ya decide to do the spark plugs, gap them at 0.035.
part number for spark plugs is

SP0RC12L-YC (Chrysler 56027275).
They are like $2.15 ea, you need 6.

If you find oil when doing plugs, in the plug boots on the block or threads, then your plug boot O-ring seals are leaking, you will have to replace them..

Part is 4536538, you need 6
Price is $1.50 from Jeff..

Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i took out the egr and gave it a nice clean with some soap and water...on the emissions test i was getting a reading of 250 when the limit is 54..;now trhat its clean everything is at 0..thanks so much for ur guys' help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts