DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got about 20 to choose from at the local pick n pull, I'll take my chances there first.

How do you remove it? Kinda hard to squat under there and see lol

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
It's like a 1/4 twist (I believe CCW) to have it come out of the bracket. Then to install, you have to twist the opposite direction while pressing it against the bracket.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's like a 1/4 twist (I believe CCW) to have it come out of the bracket. Then to install, you have to twist the opposite direction while pressing it against the bracket.
Awesome thanks - how about those steering wheel buttons? Might as well grab ones at the the pick n pull while I'm there.

Just some screws on the backside of the steering wheel? Or is the harness connector down in the column somewhere?

·
Registered
715 Posts
iv'e had to take my brake switch apart a few times. those contacts in there are made of really thin spring steel it looks like, wouldn't be hard to get one bent out of shape or to snap after so many years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
iv'e had to take my brake switch apart a few times. those contacts in there are made of really thin spring steel it looks like, wouldn't be hard to get one bent out of shape or to snap after so many years.
Mine definitely still has a spring behavior to it.

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
For the cruise switches, there's a single torx head screw on each one - accessible thru a hole on the forward side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For the cruise switches, there's a single torx head screw on each one - accessible thru a hole on the forward side of the steering wheel.
Ok I removed the assembly, looked fairly clean. Nothing looked burnt but some of those resistors are pretty small.

Put it all back together and while it still turns on, it won't set. Either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll swing by the local yard and grab a button or two and possibly a brake switch.

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
FWIW, here are the approx. resistor values (in kohms):

On/Off 0.0
Set 6.7
Resume/Accel 15
Cancel 0.92
Coast 3.0

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you had access to a DRB III you easily test your cruise control button's without even having to remove them. Still have my money on the brake switch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you had access to a DRB III you easily test your cruise control button's without even having to remove them. Still have my money on the brake switch.
Hope you put alot of money down because that's what it was the brake switch. 4 bucks from the pick n pull and it's running good. woohoo!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once I hit the set button and let off the gas pedal, the car just starts slowing down.
I had this same problem after doing some work that required me to remove the support plate that covers the head lights and radiator.

Check the speed control servo (cruise control vacuum) lines for breakage. When I disconnected this part and moved it, the hard plastic vacuum lines broke. A trip to Auotzone for some rubber tubing with an ID the same as the plastic OD was my cheap solution. Cruise again works great.

The part is located between the engine fuse block and the the washer fluid fill point. See attached diagram.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
my light comes on when setting still goes off when giving it gas HELP [email protected]
Could be several things. Brake switch could be out of adjustment.

Also it was learned in one of the LH forums some years ago that if the cam position sensor is on its way out, you won't notice anything wrong with how your engine is running, but the PCM occasionally picks up on the problem, and turns the cruise control off (as a precaution?). One owner discovered this after similar problems with his cruise control turning itself off - couldn't figure out why. Then one day his cam sensor solid failed. Magically, after he replaced the cam sensor, his cruise control worked perfectly from then on. He put 2 and 2 together. People were skeptical, but sure enough, over a couple of years after that, several others, including myself, had the same thing happen - weeks or months of unexplained flaky cruise control operation, and either pre-emptively replacing the cam position sensor or waiting for it to fail and then replacing it fixed the cruise control..

There could be other causes - should get an idea of other things to look at from reading this thread, but the brake switch and failing cam sensor or two of the more common ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I swapped in a different servo and it's the same deal. Checked all the cable connections, everything is good.

So now I'm going to focus more on the steering wheel switch or the brake switch. Or figure out how to check the harness connecting to the servo, make sure it's sending a signal.

There's no codes related to cruise control in the car.
Did you figure out what the problem was?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts