DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey now, in the past week Ive noticed my cruise has stopped working, the dash light comes on but does not work. Ive sadly had to bring the Intrepid out from storage because my beater died! Sad sad day...

There is a guy in the 1st Gen with this problem, just not sure if its the same. Anyone have an idea as to why this has happened, I also checked under the hood for a fuse, but nothing in regards to Cruise.

???

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey I had the same problem
open the hood
look right next to the fuse box, you should see like a cylinder thing with 2 hoses going to the back of the intake manifold.

On that cylinder, check to see if the connection is broken, because mine was, so I went to a junk yard and rip off one and replaced it. The connection is suppose to be pumping are in and out I think. Check it out.......good luck.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The cruise control is operated by vacuum, and like he said, check the hoses.
Also look to see if your brake lights are staying on-- the brake light switch can stick and that cuts off the 'cruise' action, even tho the light stays on...
There is a steel cable that goes from that unit to the throttle body, along with the foot pedal cable...Unlikely, but it could have come loose or broke. Never heard of one failing
along those lines, though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

Soooooo I went outside and checked, and yes I did have a very little hose unplugged, right before it enters the plenum. So I plug it back in, then take her for a spin...and now the Crusie light wont even come on on the dash...Awesome!

What is that trick to check error codes on our cars? Something about turning the car to ACC 3 times or something, I cant remember...thats what I get for not driving it for 6 months!
Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
2003SXT said:
Thanks for the replies...

Soooooo I went outside and checked, and yes I did have a very little hose unplugged, right before it enters the plenum. So I plug it back in, then take her for a spin...and now the Crusie light wont even come on on the dash...Awesome!

What is that trick to check error codes on our cars? Something about turning the car to ACC 3 times or something, I cant remember...thats what I get for not driving it for 6 months!
Thanks
Nice.......happy its working now........can u imagine if u had to take it to a meechanic? the amount of lies and money they would probably a charged u.

Anyway, jump in your can and turn the key on and off 3 times.....leaving it in the on position on the 3rd turn And you will see codes where the mileage shows. Not start the car, just to the on position.

Again again, notice how simple the cruise control solution was......sometimes it be some simple problems thats wrong with our cars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jctopthugsta said:
Nice.......happy its working now........can u imagine if u had to take it to a meechanic? the amount of lies and money they would probably a charged u.

Anyway, jump in your can and turn the key on and off 3 times.....leaving it in the on position on the 3rd turn And you will see codes where the mileage shows. Not start the car, just to the on position.

Again again, notice how simple the cruise control solution was......sometimes it be some simple problems thats wrong with our cars.

Yea......I was being sarcastic.....its still not working AND the Cruise light wont come on. The only light that actually came on once I plugged the vaccum hose in was the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. So the code Im trying to find out is 0340. I have the wrong service book so if anyone knows what that is that might help.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Probably a cracked vacuum line? That's what happened on my Laser......cruise light would come on, but no cruise control engagement by the throttle. Changed the vacuum line, and it worked properly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yup, strange how the cruise control light wont come on. I am only familiar with the hoses connected to that vacuum cylinder. If the light does not even come on when you turn on cruise control, then something else must be wrong.

Also your sarcasm I was not able to catch onto because there was nothing sarcastic really about what you typed. Can you state clearly what the problem is and what you are trying to achieve?

You plugged the hose back in, ok. The light is no longer coming on ok. But is the cruise control operational while driving? Is it just the light not working? Or is everything related to the cruise control out of commission?

If the cruise control is not working in terms of setting and resetting speeds and all, then check that same cylinder very thoroughly. Mine had a broken connection right at the connection to the cylinder. I couldnt recognize it, because it was a simple crack but it looked fine from a distance becaause even though it was cracked it still stayed at the connecting area.

Thats all for now and to search for the codes, just search the forum for P 0340

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
P0340? P0340!!
Not the "CAMSHAFT SENSOR code??
Yes, camshaft sensor 'A' circuit code...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright...so my car is having a hard time making up its mind.

I started with no Cruise...then went to no cruise light with engine light on...

So today, after talking to several dealers trying to see if this is warranty and seeing whether or not they have the part in stock, I simply decided to buy the part myself and replace it.

So, I buy the $85CDN part and get back into my car, turn it on...No Check Engine Light...BUT...Cruise control works...BUT...no cruise light...

So now I have this part and not sure I want to install it just yet...is my car alive or does it know Im about to go under the hood and its afraid of that??

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If your cruise control works but the cruise light does not, then maybe the light is burned out. Does cruise light come on during the bulb check,when you first turn key to run position? It should light up with all of the other indicator lights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Ideer!
Ill check it when I go out tonight!
Thanks Captain Obvious! haha I didnt even think to pay attention to that..DERRR

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So this is ****ing wonderful! I JUST got to work, turned into a parking space, I hear a crack in the steering column...and what happens...the car doesnt steer...AND THE HORN STARTS GOING OFF!!! I hate this thing...

Oh and the Cruise bulb does not come on during start...

*Update*

My clock spring is supposedly broken...$327 later...I hate my car...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jedgxe said:
If your cruise control works but the cruise light does not, then maybe the light is burned out. Does cruise light come on during the bulb check,when you first turn key to run position? It should light up with all of the other indicator lights.
The cruise light does not come on during bulb check. Not on any car I've ever owned. There's no reason for it to have a self check. I agree that the bulb probably burned out, but it'll never come on when you first start the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright!

Im officially making this the "Code of the hour" thread...
Just turned it over at the dealer and Code 1687 came up, right after I dropped $327 to fix the clock spring...Im on a roll, this is killer!!
We can start a lottery, anyone guess what tomorrows number will be??

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
froggy81500 said:
The cruise light does not come on during bulb check. Not on any car I've ever owned. There's no reason for it to have a self check. I agree that the bulb probably burned out, but it'll never come on when you first start the car.
Mine does.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
That is very odd. I don't know of any self-checks the c/c system would be making. Usually my CEL, battery, brake, seatbelt, airbag and oil lights come on when starting the car, not the c/c. I'll have to remember tomorrow morning to look again.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When starting the car it turns off right away. It's only on for a fraction of a second. If you just turn the key to the run position without starting it will stay lit up longer.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jedgxe said:
When starting the car it turns off right away. It's only on for a fraction of a second. If you just turn the key to the run position without starting it will stay lit up longer.
Noted. I'm leaving for work in 15 minutes, will try to verify that on my 2001.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts