DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Cruise Controll

8K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  stlrj 
#1 ·
Alright - In my last car (2001 Honda Civic) and in my GFs car (1991 Acura Integra) you can set the cruise at a min. of 25mph. I know in the Civic I could set it at about 99mph max, not that I ever did, but I could.
Anyhow.....
Is there a way to make it so I can set the cruise at anything below 35mph? and/or above 85mph?
:confused:

#3 ·
I live right in a school zone so its 25mph all around my house, but not hardly any stops, so its much easier. I dont really need to set it over 85... just wondered if that could be done really...

#7 ·
^^^ same with me, but its a 25 4 lane, no stops. has a high school, middle school, 2 elementrys, and a kindergarden! then there is another elementry 2 blocks away from me!

#8 ·
Dr5D said:
^^^ same with me, but its a 25 4 lane, no stops. has a high school, middle school, 2 elementrys, and a kindergarden! then there is another elementry 2 blocks away from me!
imo, in an enviroment like that (tons of kids around) you probably shouldn't have the cruise on anyways. unless of course your driving through there after hours.

i don't think there would be any easy way to lower the min cruise set speed tho....

#14 ·
Dr5D said:
so whats the deal here

No deal...just how Chrysler set the cruise control. Basically it's worthless to set cruise on anything under 35. Yes the road might be long but using cruise in city driving is not recommended.

I think newer Chryslers will let you set it at 25 or so. I'll have to check on G-mas 01 Stratus.

#16 ·
well at least you saw the humor in that....
but if there are newer versions of our cars I would be very interested in getting the cruise part of its brain!!!

any other thoughts?

#22 ·
Dr5D: I see that you are a student in Des Moines. Do you go to Drake, ISU, etc.??

You wouldn't happen to be an EE student at ISU as well, would you?

< - Look at my location!

One of these days I was going to construct a new cruise control for my Intrepid. Maybe I will do it for my control systems class .... that would be a fun project. The calculus involved in a good cruise control system doesn't seen overly complex.

I wasn't going to have an arbitrary upper or lower limit like the OEM cruise has.

-Darwin

#23 ·
if you could make it so I could set my cruise at like 5 or 10mph - or 150mph if I wanted I would totally buy from you!

so could you also do some reprogramming of ECUs??? cause it bothers me when it sometimes wont let me go over 112-113 (tho I do no it is dangerous)

if you can do this stuff let me know im super interested!!!!

#24 ·
Dr5D said:
if you could make it so I could set my cruise at like 5 or 10mph - or 150mph if I wanted I would totally buy from you!

so could you also do some reprogramming of ECUs??? cause it bothers me when it sometimes wont let me go over 112-113 (tho I do no it is dangerous)

if you can do this stuff let me know im super interested!!!!
I was not going to have an arbitrary lower speed limit, if the car is going too fast at idle, the controller would just set the throttle to idle.

Without reprogramming the PCM it would not be possible to exceed the pre-set max speed.

If you set the speed too high, or the governor stops acceleration, or something else; the cruise controller would just open the throttle wide, and you would go as fast as the car is capable of going under the present conditions.

Even with a drop in control system, it would take the better part of an afternoon and evening to install. A person would have to connect to the; throttle servo, cruise buttons on the steering wheel, neutral gear switch, break signal, and possibly the cruise light on the instrument cluster.

Here's the kicker. If I get this done, and installed in my car, I would remove it before I would sell or get rid of the car. Could you imagine if some a-hole were to buy my car, crash it, and then blame it on my cruise control? Heh, I bet someone could steal my car, crash it, and then sue me for not having a "safe" car to steal. This is why I would never build and sell such a device. Sorry....

If I understand correctly, a person cannot sign away thier right to sue another party [me] for negligence, so I couldn't even have someone sign a waiver. Such is the trashy legal system in this country.

Oh well, I probably won't ever get this done. I think this is one of those things that a person talks about, but never does.

-Darwin

#26 ·
ok, now I read it.... didnt understand some of it....
but could you make it so I can set the cruise at like 20 or 25? thats all I really want at this point. I would pay you to do it and make it all extra clear that Im not going to sue you or anything!!!

Im not sure exactly how you have to go about doing this, but I would totally pay you for the service and the labor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.