DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to build my sub box to fit in the back of my trunk. The specs say 1.7 cubic feet is ideal. I just need somebody to figure a box design using inches with it not exceeding 17' inches wide, 14' long and 13' high. So basically width is all there is to change. How wide should each box be? This is for 2 twelves, 1 box each then Im going to attach the boxes together. Kinda Like Dodgeyaussie's was If you remember how he did it except my subs are going to fire into the cab.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Reactions: Vertigo_AK47

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
And you thought all of that math you had in junior high school would never be of any use.......

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooooooookkkkaaaaayyyyyy. My Bad :doh: , I guess I shoulda put it in the audio section but I assumed it to be a mathish general question.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
But check out the convertor --comes in handy!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at it, didnt find cubic feet but damn that thing has about everything else. Thanks for the tip, it will come in handy later for my math homeowork for sure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. I still am retarded and cant figure out the dimensions Ill need though. I can get some of it through the converter but I just dont know what to do with the numbers.

·
Banned
338 Posts
easy conversions: 12 inches in a foot. for cubic feet you need to go this route:

you can only change the width, so, for out purposes we will call width W. Hell, call it what you want, and after you get done talking to it, plug it into this equation: W*14inches*13inches = 1.7 ft^3.

whoa. you got inches in that equation. we need it all in cubic feet. No problem, up at the top we have that conversion figure. so 14inches * 1ft / 12 inches = 14/12 feet or 1.1667 feet. 13 inches * 1ft/12 inches = 1.0833.

so, we have now W*1.667*1.0833 = 1.7ft^3. simplifies that to 1.2639*w = 1.7

so W = 1.7 / 1.2639 which is 1.3451ft

wow. not too shabby, now all you need is that in inches and we are good to go

we have 12 inches / 1ft * 1.3451 ft the ft cancell out leaving inches, and that gives us 16.1407 inches.

and that I believe is within your specs.

Happy building

AJ

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I Love This Sight!!!! You guys Are Awesome. Thanks For The Help. Anybody ever need help with any English Related Questions Feel Free to ask!! Haha

·
Registered
175 Posts
Vertigo_AK47 said:
Man I Love This Sight!!!! You guys Are Awesome. Thanks For The Help. Anybody ever need help with any English Related Questions Feel Free to ask!! Haha

You have to consider the with of the plywood in your calculation too.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Vertigo_AK47 said:
No prob!

I have to point out the irony that you're offering help on english and you spelled "site" as "sight" I'm not being a jerk, I do that all the time when I'm typing, I just found it to be amusing.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Vertigo_AK47 said:
I need to build my sub box to fit in the back of my trunk. The specs say 1.7 cubic feet is ideal. I just need somebody to figure a box design using inches with it not exceeding 17' inches wide, 14' long and 13' high. So basically width is all there is to change. How wide should each box be? This is for 2 twelves, 1 box each then Im going to attach the boxes together. Kinda Like Dodgeyaussie's was If you remember how he did it except my subs are going to fire into the cab.
There's 1728 cu inches to a cubic foot (12 x 12 x 12).

Using the max dimensions you provided, a box that big would have a volume of 3094 cubic inches (17 x 14 x 13 = 3094). Divide that by 1728 and you get 1.79 cubic feet.

Since your dimensions will be outside dimensions, the inside dimensions are a bit smaller when you factor in the thickness of the wood. So that probably brings the inside volume down quite close to 1.7 cu. feet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
No prob!

I have to point out the irony that you're offering help on english and you spelled "site" as "sight" I'm not being a jerk, I do that all the time when I'm typing, I just found it to be amusing.

Ha!! I did. Got a good laugh at that one. I promise Im good at english that was just a slip-up haha. Im glad you pointed that out, now I can watch that a lil' better.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man you all are doing what seriously would have taken me a very long time to figure out. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts