DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the back on our radios (the one with the 3 band equaliser and tape w/cd controls) it has what appears to be a DIN connector. I'm wondering if I can swap out my stock changer and jam in another type? ie ...dvd, anyone ever attempt this? am I nuts for even thinking about trying it?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

1 - Antenna

2 - DIN connector is for the external CD changer.

3 - C3 PCI communications buss. (There are several diagnostic trouble codes for radio/speaker failures. They come from this one wire to the BCM/instrument cluster.)

4 - C1 Power, panel lamps, headlamp switch output and some speakers.

5 - C2 All speakers.

6 - Ground lugs

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the one I am looking at has a built in LCd monitor.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Do the 99 Stereos have the DIN connector for a CD changer so I do not have to use that FM ****?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does yer stereo look like? i am trying to find a picture of mine and the front of the one above (same thing)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately, you most likely will not be able to run auxilliary inputs into the DIN plug on the back. The last I knew, Alpine CD Changers could be used along with an adapter instead of the factory unit. However, Alpine does not make an aux. input adapter for the model DIN cable that that specific CD changer uses.

Of course, you can always go the route I'm going and gut the entire car so you can hear music the way it was intended to be heard. When I get the system install underway, I'll be sure and post pics for you guys. First step is installing the Clifford Avantguard 4 alarm with remote start and power window roll up/roll down control. After that, I have Clarion CD player, 6 Disc Changer, Phoenix Gold Signal Processors, 3 Lunar amplifiers, Image Dynamics Horn Loaded Compression Drivers, 6.5" midbass drivers and a single 12" subwoofer to make a home for in the car.

skellyo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid99:
Hey skellyo, let me know how that Clifford alarm/starter is once you get it installed. It's one of the ones I've been looking at to replace the POS one I got right now!

Also, if you don't mind, how much did it set ya back? I haven't looked into prices too deeply yet...

The model is the Clifford Avantguard 4 along with the Clifnet Wizard Pro software and Smartwindows 4 for window roll up. I spent nearly $450 on it with shipping. The only reason I was even able to buy it uninstalled is because I have friends with shops. It should be going on the car in the next week or so hopefully.

skellyo

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sounds like a killer install skellyo. I've been wandering what the trep would sound like if it were equipped with some compression horns. Since my wife drives the car most of the time and with A baby on the way, there will be no stereo mods....for now ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
For what it's worth, Alpine was very much into OEM in the past (not sure about now) and they built many CD changers, speakers and head units for car manufacturers, as did Panasonic.

I know the older Alpine 6 pak CD changers worked with OEM Volvo, Honda etc head units. They even manufactured their own set adapters. Alpine dealers did not normally stock these, but they were available.

Check with Alpine or find a buddy who has one of these CD changers to try out. You'll of course need the DIN cable extension.

·
Registered
220 Posts
FWIW metra and PIE both make interface devices to convert the Chrysler Protocol din plug to another standard, usually alpine, allowing you to use your factory head on a changer that isnt $800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts