DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I heard a member is trying to do a dvd with all members in di.net, check it out in general forums, he need pic vids and music too.
My question is the following....how much horsepower does the custom air intake give, also they are two type of cones for it, a long one, and a short one, which is better or whats the difference?......I friend told me that the K&N filters give a noticeable change in performance, but that they are bad for the engine because since the filter is "more open air flow" it leds in little particles of dust to the engine that in later future can cause damage to the engine, How true is it? :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The miniscule amount of debris that gets past the cone filter vs the paper filter is negligable. A long filter or short filter doesnt matter... Basically any filter will do thats a cone filter, you could even snag a cheap one off ebay for like 15-20 bucks and that will do just fine. What makes all the difference is the tubing you get. You want it as smooth as possible with the smoothest bends. In addition to the smoothness, you will need to take into consideration the material it is made of. Steel will hold heat a long longer than aluminum. IF possible at all, get aluminum tubing, not steel.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
For a V6 engine I suggest the long filter. More filter surface area is better. For the dust particles just to oil more often the filter and it will make the same as a paper filter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If I were going to have an exhaust shop bend me a piece of pipe to make an intake tube with what material would I want.

It was stated earlier that aluminum will shed heat faster than steel but is there any particular grade. I assume you would need something that Absolutely Does Not Corrode or Flake at all on the inside, since this would occur behind the filter and go straight into the engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heared people that they bought the custom intake in autozone, the one that is for the Civic, is it aluminum or steel, it seems that its aluminum but dont know.......there I have the option of the long filter, and what do you guys think the spectrum cone filter or the k&N cone filter? I was thinking of buying an intake for this friday, so I really what help from you guys, also how true is it about the K&N filter that damage your engine after some time cause it make an increase in power??

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok K&n is a big deal right? but i would go with true flow. the reason y is cuz it doesn't allow as much dust particles into your engine unlike the K&N.

you ask how do i know this? My dad had a K&N CAI on his 98 dodge ram pick up, it had good performance but let too much dirt in. know on his 2004 2500 dodge ram pick up truck with the true flow CAI it runs the same if not better, but with less dirt particles going to your engine.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
XCALIBUR said:
I heared people that they bought the custom intake in autozone, the one that is for the Civic, is it aluminum or steel, it seems that its aluminum but dont know.......there I have the option of the long filter, and what do you guys think the spectrum cone filter or the k&N cone filter? I was thinking of buying an intake for this friday, so I really what help from you guys, also how true is it about the K&N filter that damage your engine after some time cause it make an increase in power??
Theres no doubt its ALUMINUM. Its as light as a feather if it were steel the thing would weigh like 5lbs. Like people have mentioned:doesnt matter what shape or for that matter what brand of filter. The plus to K&N is that they are reusable; by which I mean you can clean them. I have an intake on my car; some tweaking is involved like cutting the aluminum pipe down and I drilled a hole and added a grommet to connect the breather hose. If you would like to see pics let me know I can get them on after Im out of school today.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have intakes call 516 292 4466 they are 50 bucks and group buys give discounts!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah mass04 I will like pics to see how did you make it fit and poopyhead where are you located cause I am in Texas, just rather get it at AutoZone for the same price, is it also the filter for 50???

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
just to let you know I got this at walmart for less than $50. I got the grommet and elbow at Advanced. Take the tube with you so you get the right size. The tube is easy to cut through and drill through, you can use a hacksaw and any drill bit thats big enough. I got the mount for the purge solenoid at the junkyard but you could just zip tie it somewhere temporarily. Good luck, soory the font is so small dont feel like changing it. Top says "cut tube here, grommet with 90' elbow". Bottom says "purge solenoid".

·
Registered
106 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
If I were going to have an exhaust shop bend me a piece of pipe to make an intake tube with what material would I want.

It was stated earlier that aluminum will shed heat faster than steel but is there any particular grade. I assume you would need something that Absolutely Does Not Corrode or Flake at all on the inside, since this would occur behind the filter and go straight into the engine.
It really doesnt matter what grade it is. Just make sure its aluminum. There is a reason why turbo cars tend to not use aluminum exhaust systems and lean towards SS. The aluminum dissipates heat too fast for it, and turbos tend to like heat. Also everything corrodes and flakes, maybe not in the way you're thinking of but it does. Mild steel as we all know oxidixes by rusting and eventually it flakes off and leaves a nice thin surface or no surface at all. Stainless does corrode but does so very slowly in the same manner as mild steel. Aluminum corrodes but develops a white film on itself which is smooth but over time can accumulate but can be sanded off without removing any aluminum material itself.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
r0meo021 said:
what are you purging?
the purge solenoid for the evaporative emissions control. It mounts to the airbox so you need to put it somewhere when you take the box out. The elbow and such are for the breather hose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Im getting the intake from atozone, one more question can I put a breather where the elbow is instade of cutting the intake and ading an elbow?? or is it better if I put it also where the intake is??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts