DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is one I can not figure out... Electrical problems are my weak area.

When I drive in the mornings, usually on cool (around 50-60 F) and/or damp conditions, my headlights, and all interior lights dim and brighten. They cycle back and forth like this for about 20-30 minutes. It is kinda like they are on a variable resistance rotary switch, or the the Hz is slowed down to about 2 cycles per second and the lights dim and brighten with the fluctuation cycle of the wave. Anyways, I hope you get the picture I am trying to paint.

I have tested the Alternator, the voltage regulator, tested and cleaned the Battery and terminals, chased wires, looked in connectors for condensation, even played around with the serpentine belt. All to no avail...... :giveup:

I am out of Ideas....Any help please.

2002 ES Intrepid 2.7L

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I believe (gotta check tech data) that the regulator is part of the PCM/ECU.

What I just read: The PCM uses Inlet air temperature sensor to control charge system voltage.This temperature, along with data from monitored line voltage,is used by the PCM to vary the charging rate. The system voltage is higher at cold temperatures and is gradually reduced as the calculated battery temperature increases. This is done by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor field(field voltage). The PCM has a target voltage that it will maintain based on battery temperature.(!)
weirdest S**t I've ever seen!!
Bad Temperature sensor? could be...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
......have you tried fiddling with your brightness control on your headlight switch? Sounds like the 'lightshow' problem to me?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the "lightshow" off and on for about a week, so I just slightly turned the rheostat down a hair, and it stopped.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Avenger said:
......have you tried fiddling with your brightness control on your headlight switch? Sounds like the 'lightshow' problem to me?
Don't think that'll brighten and dim headlights along with the interior lights...

AWACS? Big frisbee, mon!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the rhostat on the dimmer... No problems, and no blind spots either.

Where is the correct Temp Sensor for the Voltage Reg?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts