DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Dad works at Sears. This was sitting in the warehouse for up to a year, and is a discontinued model. It was price reduced twice , and for employees or at least my dad they let it walk for $87 since it was the only one left.

Now my dad wants to talk my dad into trading his 1 year old huffy euipped with rock shocks and v-brakes for it lol :p

Index shifters, disc brakes, front and rear suspension.

He's keeping an eye open for next for me and my girlfriend ;)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know my bikes, I used to be very very heavily into the sport, and plan on getting back into it.. I used to keep up with a city bus going 50 kilometers an hour on my Raleigh bmx. Man I was infamous with that lil bike around my hood. :D

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
For the price, good deal. Those bikes suck though. :)

If you're not into racing, why even bother with disc brakes? ****, unless you're into racing in a lot of muddy conditions, why even bother with disc brakes? For the average rider a good set of V brakes (such as Avid) will do good. For racing, ceramic pads with ceramic lined rims will work great too. I just don't get the average rider who goes with a mechanical disc brake, not to mention a full blown hydraulic disc brake setup.

Oh well. To each their own. :)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I converted to Magura Hydraulic brakes a few years back (not disc, still pad on rims) simply for the lower pressure needed

we rode Mt. Snow (local ski resort) one weekend and I was two finger braking the whole day where before I was giving full grip braking in spots and ending up with numb forearms after three runs

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
JoeKD said:
I converted to Magura Hydraulic brakes a few years back (not disc, still pad on rims) simply for the lower pressure needed

we rode Mt. Snow (local ski resort) one weekend and I was two finger braking the whole day where before I was giving full grip braking in spots and ending up with numb forearms after three runs
I see what you are saying, but my friend, I think you had your brakes set up wrong. I have the stock V brakes (Promax, they are ok for now) and I can two finger brake all day long.

BTW, have you had any problems with the hydraulics leaking?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
no, the hydraulics have never leaked one drop, they aren't very high pressure so as long as you have the couplings seated correctly they won't ever leak

as for being setup correctly all I have to say is that you must not have ever tried hydraulics, the effort is significantly less than any cables

riding a ski trail is much different from trail riding, you spend 95% of you ride with you fingers on the brakes

·
Registered
423 Posts
Warlord187 said:
If you're not into racing, why even bother with disc brakes? ****, unless you're into racing in a lot of muddy conditions, why even bother with disc brakes? For the average rider a good set of V brakes (such as Avid) will do good. For racing, ceramic pads with ceramic lined rims will work great too. I just don't get the average rider who goes with a mechanical disc brake, not to mention a full blown hydraulic disc brake setup.
I have Avids :) . Those brakes probably have less stopping power than your promax Vs do, Just beacuse they are disk doesnt mean they stop good. Dialing in full cable disk breaks is super easy though, even a one fingered monkey could do it.

PS: My singlespeed is going to have Hayes or Hope discs on it, I wanna stop fast :p

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For my mom who is an active mid 40's woman that stands at 5'4", the bike has excellent shape for her to mount and dismount easily. The front brakes are cable disc brakes, and the rears are promax? cable v-brades. The bike's total weight barely seems over 5 pounds total, being completely aluminum with fabulous looking aluminum welds. So for a bike that will pedal easily, shift well with the shimano index shifters, and brake easily in light to emergency situations. I think it's an impossible deal to beat. :D

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
RiCeDoUt said:

I have Avids :) . Those brakes probably have less stopping power than your promax Vs do, Just beacuse they are disk doesnt mean they stop good. Dialing in full cable disk breaks is super easy though, even a one fingered monkey could do it.

PS: My singlespeed is going to have Hayes or Hope discs on it, I wanna stop fast :p
Well, I was talking Avid V brakes such as the SD5, SD7, Ti, etc. I know a couple of people who have Avids (SD5 or SD7) and they highly recommend them. I won't replace my brakes until later this year, if at all (depends how much I get off my lazy ass and ride :)).

·
Registered
995 Posts
The bike's total weight barely seems over 5 pounds total, being completely aluminum with fabulous looking aluminum welds
I don't know about 5lb's, maybe 25lb's. It's a nice looking bike in all but don't et the looks fool ya. It's still a department store bike built by the thousands in Tiawan. They break, and it dosn't take much. I used to service and repair bike for Walmart, Sears, and Zellars and it's was alway the same story, bent rims-frames-or forks, or the cheap componets fail. Mostly due to the owner over riding the bike. You have a good weekend cruiser on the dykes or trails, but it's and no lets go booking down the hill and hope the bike holds up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts