DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when i thought i had made up my mind on what car to get ...

Well we were going to get an Intrepid but finding finance hard to come by, and afford, for that particular car, so the search began again. Then i spy this tidy looking '98 Dakota Club Cab, 5.2 V8, camper shell, tow package, flowmasters, one owner, asking $7500. 2k less than the trep and would probably be of more use to us than another sedan. So my question is does anyone have any experience with these vehicles? Things to watch out for? Any sites like this one that anyone know of?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
man these trucks are hard on gas... Just my two cents. I hvae heard so many people complain about the amount they spend.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I recomend DAKOTAUSA.COM. The crowd is a lot more friendlier than any of the other sites i've been too.

The only real think you have to look for on the DAKS for trouble are the ball joints. These trucks are notorious for going through these. Rumor is that there's actually a re-call in the works to replace all ball joints on the 3rd gen Dakota.

Aside from that, its an awesome truck! The 5.2 is a great engine and hardly has any trouble, if any at all. Just make sure all the regular maintenance was done and she souds like she should be a good buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You don't buy a V-8 pickup for MPG. But they are gas hogs. The 3.9 V-6 i had in my Dakota SLT club cab sucked. About 13 mpg on the hwy under 70 mph.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
NO NO NO, dont go to dodgedakotas.com...go to DakotaUSA.com, but there will be no fuel economy...but spook...13 on the highway is a bit extreme, as my premag, carbed V6 with a big cam still pulls 15

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thats why i got rid if it and got the Intrepid R/T.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gees and i was reluctant to get a f150 due to the MPG. My father in law has one and it sucks it up. :rolleyes:

Are the Dak's really THAT bad?:(

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If you can find a dakota with a 4.7 that will be your ticket. That engine is very efficient.

The 5.2 isn't all that bad either. Just throw on an air intake, exhaust, and keep the tires at the PSI they're supposed to have and you should be seeing about 16-18 mpg.

But if you're a lead foot....be warned.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My mom had a '98 Dakota Club cab 4X4 sport with the 5.2L V8. I cut my teeth driving with that truck..got my license shortly after she got it. Was a nice truck, but the fuel economy sucked. Other than that, we didn't have any major issues with it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Before the Trep, I had a 95 Dak Club, SLT...God, I miss that truck. Honestly, for a V8, I thought the gas mileage was great. It had an 18 gallon tank and I usually got 300 miles out of it. So figure it out from there. The mpg seems to be the same as my Trep. Only difference, I WAS driving a V8...God, I miss torque.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts