DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I drove through a pretty big puddle. About half way through it my car died. It wouldn't start so I just figured that the ignition pack had gotten wet and called a friend for a ride home. Went back the following morning and it still wouldn't start. I took the air filter assembly apart and my filter was soaked. Appearently I had sucked water into my cylinders, (Yes, this was a pretty big ass puddle, and yes I am stupid for driving through it.) I changed the oil and it fired up, but was running like ****. I got it to my dad's house and started troubleshooting. I hooked a scanner up to it and it said Ignition Pack Secondary Voltage failure and Cylinder 1 Misfire. I put a brand new ignition pack on it and that didn't help at all (there goes 60 bucks.) I replaced the cylinder one plug and that didn't help either. Anything else I might try or am I just screwed? I feel so damn stupid. BTW it is a 97 Intrepid with a 3.5. Right now I just have Cylinder 1 misfire on the scanner and the check engine light actually flashes instead of staying on solid. Thanks in advanced, any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
hydrolock...gah

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could have water in other areas that handle electricity. You also have to work out all the water from the engine. You could have water in the exhaust as well. Do you think you could have gotton water in the fuel?

I would use some compressed air and blow the **** out of the engine area. Any switches and connection points are focus areas. Take out the spark plugs and turn over the engine to see if you can clear them out. The air tube should come off. Make sure no water is hiding. Chekc the intake as well if you can get your head in there. You did say you changed the oil right? Do you think water went into the vent hole from the vavle cover? Make sure your not milky on your oil.

Good luck man. Next time go around bodies of water :grinno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I might have gotten water in the fuel and poured a bottle of Heet in just in case. I am hoping there is no hydrolock.

Yeah, I changed the oil and will try to blow out all switches etc when I get off work.

Also, I will for sure be driving around big puddles like this next time. It was just so tempting to drive through it. Looks like that could end up being an expensive ass puddle.

BTW this happened Saturday night, so it has had some time to dry. Thanks for the tips and the good luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Now remember hydro lock ,locks the engine up. It will not turn over. You said its just running like crap. So, you didn't fill them up. Which is good. You can really up chuck a engine trying to turn it over that is hydro locked. Now, (bad news) if it was locked up and you forced it. Some thing could be bent. But, I don't think so. Usually from what I have seen. The starter doesn't have the power to bend stuff up. So, when you tried to start it, It rolled over ok didn't it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the very first time I tried starting it it sounded normal except it kind of went weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, like it just wasn't getting any spark. I never heard anything that made me think there was serious damage. Seems like hydrolock would be sometime noticable with the bending of pistons and all.

I did drive the car to work today also. Is it possible that just one side of the engine (cylinders 1,3,5) experienced hydrolock? Thanks for all you help, this really sucks and I am so pissed at myself for making a stupid decision the other night.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think so. Just one cyclinder can cause a complete stopage. Just work it out and you'll probly dry out ok. :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
234 Posts
i would change the oil a few times in a row changeing the filter each time. Fresh oil, idle for 15 minutes. drain,and repeat. Get all the water outa there. Then switch to mobile one.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
noble said:
So this weekend I drove through a pretty big puddle. About half way through it my car died. It wouldn't start so I just figured that the ignition pack had gotten wet and called a friend for a ride home. Went back the following morning and it still wouldn't start. I took the air filter assembly apart and my filter was soaked. Appearently I had sucked water into my cylinders, (Yes, this was a pretty big ass puddle, and yes I am stupid for driving through it.) I changed the oil and it fired up, but was running like ****. I got it to my dad's house and started troubleshooting. I hooked a scanner up to it and it said Ignition Pack Secondary Voltage failure and Cylinder 1 Misfire. I put a brand new ignition pack on it and that didn't help at all (there goes 60 bucks.) I replaced the cylinder one plug and that didn't help either. Anything else I might try or am I just screwed? I feel so damn stupid. BTW it is a 97 Intrepid with a 3.5. Right now I just have Cylinder 1 misfire on the scanner and the check engine light actually flashes instead of staying on solid. Thanks in advanced, any help is much appreciated!
I'm not sure about the '97 system, but in the owners manual for my '03 it says the flashing check engine light means cat converter problem. My opinion is this could be caused by your misfiring cylinder dumping raw fuel air mix into the exhaust or..... your converter got damaged from the sudden cool down from the puddle. The first cylinder that comes up on the compression stroke while loaded with water will bring the engine to an abrupt halt, because you can not compress water or any liquid for that matter. That cylinder along with any cylinder that is on it's power stroke will have a lot of stress on their connecting rods, bearings, pistons and wrist pins. Cylinders on intake or exhaust stroke will probably survive. You might want to do a compression test on all cylinders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts