DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from Columbia it started to smoke got out and popped the hood and Transmission fluid is everywhere! I completed the key dance and the only code I got was the P0456 but when I checked the transmission fluid was low and by the time I hiked to the next exit and back with some additional fluid the remainding fluid was all over the side of the road. Had to get the car towed to the house (thanks goodness for insurance towing).

Mechanic will take a look at the car tomorrow morning. I am really pissed. :violin:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yikes, I hope nothing too expensive went. If it puts your mind at ease at all the same thing happened to my 87 bronco, and all it was, was a cut in the oil cooler line. That happened about 8 months ago and I still get red on my hands when I’m working on it…or I guess maybe I’m not as good as I think I am with cars, and I’m just cutting up my hands. You never know.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
sounds like the famious cooler line is it all over the left side?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Gotta check those lines out once in a while man. Oil changes are perfect since you got the car up on ramps or jacks and your head is all jammed up in there anyways. I will double check all the lines I can see during my oil change this weekend

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I just remembered you just put a new radiator in it too,, did you happen to leave a line loose?.. wait i bet it came out of the holder and rubbed against rhe power steering pulley
that happened to mine when i first got it <blush>

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I will know more detail in a few hours hopefully. I am having the car taken back to the guy that did the radiator. As soon as I have some updated info I will post it here.

BTW Scott I will try to start checking that stuff now that I have a place of my own to do some work. Apartment complex was not a good place to try and do a oil change......LOL Then also I feel it is my duty to help the economy by letting others work on my car, you know I have to do my part to help the country.....LMAO

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
Actually thinking of de-modding the Trep if this does not go well. If it comes to that I will start a new thread with parts available.
Nooooooooooooo!!! Another one's not going to bite the dust Keith!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey I am hoping that it does not get to that Brad as I love my Trep, but with all the new commitments that I have, I can not afford the payment (few more months) and the repairs.

My plan is to stay positive and hope it all works out well. I did not want to get another car until the Challenger comes out. But right now the wife is looking to upgrade to the 300C now rather than next summer.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If it is the factory tranny cooler that is integral to the radiator, don't let the repair shop fix it. Just seal off the radiator/tranny cooler ports and have them install an external tranny cooler like the ones at www.perma-cool.com.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DrDodge said:
I just remembered you just put a new radiator in it too,, did you happen to leave a line loose?.. wait i bet it came out of the holder and rubbed against rhe power steering pulley that happened to mine when i first got it <blush>

We have a winner! Car fixed and mechanic agreed that it was probably an oversite on his behalf - having him give me a receipt for the work done. Just in case I have any other issues with the car. I thought I was safe when I did not get any lines or connectors broken or stripped with the radiator put on, check oil and transmission fluid daily for two weeks. Never thought to check the hoses to ensure they were secure.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
We have a winner! Car fixed and mechanic agreed that it was probably an oversite on his behalf - having him give me a receipt for the work done. Just in case I have any other issues with the car. I thought I was safe when I did not get any lines or connectors broken or stripped with the radiator put on, check oil and transmission fluid daily for two weeks. Never thought to check the hoses to ensure they were secure.
YAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Keith's not leaving us!!!!
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

im glad keith, im very glad...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
woohoo!!!

I forgot to re-attach a tranny cooler line to the cooler once after doing some repairs..

As soon as i started the car, tranny fluid was EVERYWHERE, luckily, the hood was still open and i saw a geyser of tranny fluid coming up from the engine bay.. lol

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Whew..that was close. Glad it was fixed! My buddy had an 89 Camaro RS and the tranny line fell off. We drove 6 miles with no transmission fluid. That 700R4 was toast by the time we found out there was a problem. We just followed a trail of dexron for 6 miles

1 - 20 of 31 Posts