DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me with this. I have been having an intermittent problem with My 1994 New Yorker. It is a 3.5 with 72,000 miles. On several occasions while driving anywhere from 50 to 70 mph it will feel like I have suddenly slammed on the brakes. (This only last for a second). When this happens all of the gauges go dead like the key has been shut off and it feels like you are going to be thrown through the windshield. I believe the transmission is the reason for the harsh deceleration. I have also noticed occasionally that my ABS light will come on and will stay on until I shut off the key and re-start. I have not noticed these 2 problems occurring at the same time.
My Chrysler dealer is not able to find anything wrong. Naturally it never acts up when the test drive it. They also can not find any codes in the computer.

:mad:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's some steps I'd take, as I'd be more concerned about the tranny situation than the ABS light.

1. Find another Chrysler/Dodge dealer and see if they find something the other doesn't. Our DC dealerships seem to have different levels of professionalism (is that a word?). One dealer will say one thing just to get rid of you. Another will want to help you out.

2. If the above doesn't work, take your car to a dedicated transmission shop that strictly works on tranny repair/rebuilds. They know more than darn near anyone and can do their own diagnosis on your tranny.

After the trans is takin care of, then tackle the ABS thing. I only say that because you'll have more problems than the ABS light if someday your car goes into Limp Mode when you're in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ATFcharger,
I already had the trans replaced about 1000 mile ago. It did exactly as you mentioned. Went into limp mode. This feels entirely different. This time it is actually killing the engine momentarily besides feeling like it is hitting a lower gear.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check the tranny fluid.

I had a similar problem once where when I put the car into Drive it would kill the engine and I'd have to restart. It also threw that "bump" you refer to like hitting a lower gear at speeds.

Sometimes that can be caused by low fluid levels. Other times it can be more internal damage. Find out (whoever replaced your tranny) what fluid they used. If it's anything but ATF+3 or +4 you may have some issues again.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey 94 lhs. Samething sort of happend to me. its should not be youre transmission. But should be one of youre sensors. mines turned out to be 2 O2 sensors and someother one. try those first and see. :D :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
with ABS does it have Traction control?

could it be that kicking on while he is moving hence the being thrown towards the windshield?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts