DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 ES, and the clear plastic that covers the guages has weird spots all over it..I cleaned the plastic once with windex, and it left spots all over the plastic. The spots will not come off with anything, they look like they are inside the plastic but thats not possible. Any suggestions on how to clean them off?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would also love to know this if this is possible, I need to get working on those faded dials!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Could have gotten condensation behind the clear bezel, that could cause what you're describing. The cluster itself is easy to remove and partially disassemble. You can get to the gauge faces pretty easily Si.

As far as the non-removable spots, if they don't come off if you clean BOTH sides of the lens, it'll have to be replaced.

·
Registered
560 Posts
ive got some crap trapped behind that plastic shield, right where the gauges are. it looks like pieces of ash from a cigarette...theres also an ugly discoloration on the odometer...the little shield that covers the trip and odometer (tiny piece of plastic has crap on it, gets annoying)

....haha i guess some scumbag at Dick Scott dodge was smoking a cigarette when he rolled back the odometer on my 'trep and left his fingerprints all over the place. (my car was a dealer demo at that dealer in plym. MI, im technically the 6th owner) :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I get to the plastic? Remove the 2 screws at the top of the plastic trim around the guage cluster? I see 2 screws that I can remove...is that all I do?

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can remove the vent covers to the right and left of the steering wheel and reviel the other two screws. Make sure you take the battery neg cable off, just to be safe. The instrument cluster is a whole unit, once the screws have been removed there is a plasic "clip" holding the top, also there are I guess ports or whatever, "multiplugs". They are the electrical connectors ok. stop laughing. anyway you may have to wiggle the instrument cluster out, holding the clip up top up. As far as cleaning the glass, it's pretty well adheared to the plastic, you will have to cut it free with a dremmel tool and reattached it with epoxy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually you can seperate the lens from the cluster with a security torx bit #8 I belive it was..

SI Ill make you a good deal on a used Cord/Vision cluster. I still have my original one :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts