DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says they just stopped working (just last week) but low and highs still work. The daytime running lights use the High beam bulbs but on a much lower voltage.

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Thanks All!
 

·
Woober Goobers!
Joined
·
50,299 Posts
Check the fuse in the junction block at the drivers end of the dash that is surprisingly labeled DRL!
 
  • Like
Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Probably the fuse. Check the owners manual to see exactly which fuse it is and what size you need to buy.

Personally, I pulled that fuse a long time ago. I hate DRL. I like to be able to turn my headlights completely off at night if needed. If the cops ever stop you, just tell em a fuse blew yesterday and you're planning to replace it today.
 

·
Woober Goobers!
Joined
·
50,299 Posts
I wasn't kidding..the fuse is actually labeled DRL. And it doesn't affect the normal operations of the high beams when the headlight switch is on, only the DRL function. I pulled that fuse in my 2000 SE because I was tired of the DRL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Ronbo said:
I wasn't kidding..the fuse is actually labeled DRL. And it doesn't affect the normal operations of the high beams when the headlight switch is on, only the DRL function. I pulled that fuse in my 2000 SE because I was tired of the DRL.
Correct. The fuse supplies power to the DRL, not the headlights themselves. All the DRL module is, is a circuit that operates the already existing highbeam circuit, yes on a reduced output. Once you turn on the headlight switch, it overrides the DRL module. As already stated check the fuse. Beyond that, since everything else is the same on a car with or without DRL and everything else is working fine, then the DRL module isn't working correctly if the fuse is ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
What year did they start with the DRL? I don't seem to have them in my 2000 ES, but then, I have never looked for the fuse, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Mine's a 2001 SE and I don't have them either. The OP is in Canada and it is required there. Here in the states its optional. I am not sure if US bound treps/cordes have it from the factory or not. But as far as I know, if you get the DRL module its plug-n-play. Pop in the module and a fuse for the DRL and it should be all set. I thought about adding in onto mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I have a '99 and they came standard with running lights, maybe they had it earlier in Canada? I mean we do only have sunlight for two months out of the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Brownsound said:
I have a '99 and they came standard with running lights, maybe they had it earlier in Canada? I mean we do only have sunlight for two months out of the year.
Its because yours is Canadian. From what I was told by another member, they require them on all cars in Canada. For whatever reason, they haven't made it a requirement here in the US. Kinda odd, it can't cost all that much for them to install it right from the get go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
yep the Canadian Treps have DRL's and a battery and engine heater. Haven't used my heater yet, but nice to know it's there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Yeah, the douche who I bought my car from must've driven around with that plug dragging on the ground or something because that thing is ground down to hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IntrepidBus IV said:
can you get ticketed in canada for not running drl's on late model cars that came factory-equipped? certainly hope not...
It would be rare to get a ticket for something like that but it can happen because it is a requirement. If you had a vehicle inspection, you would be required to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
I don't see why canada has DRLs all year round, they only need it for winter when the tilt of the Earth works against them.
DRLs should be expressly banned between the tropic of cancer and capricorn, and the US-Canada border is where the seasonal use of DRLs should end. No DRLs for the middle 48 states.
The most souther part of Sweeden is 55 degrees N.
Tierra del Fuego (Argentina) is 55 degrees S.
Great Britain certainly does not need DRLs.

So if the the Earth's tilt is 23.45 degrees? and the earth is an oblate spheroid.
Then Alaska, the Yukon territory, and Northwest territories, would be the only areas that would really need DRLs.

I am so sick of DRLs in Chicago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MikeW said:
I don't see why canada has DRLs all year round, they only need it for winter when the tilt of the Earth works against them.
DRLs should be expressly banned between the tropic of cancer and capricorn, and the US-Canada border is where the seasonal use of DRLs should end. No DRLs for the middle 48 states.
The most souther part of Sweeden is 55 degrees N.
Tierra del Fuego (Argentina) is 55 degrees S.
Great Britain certainly does not need DRLs.

So if the the Earth's tilt is 23.45 degrees? and the earth is an oblate spheroid.
Then Alaska, the Yukon territory, and Northwest territories, would be the only areas that would really need DRLs.

I am so sick of DRLs in Chicago.
Dude, you are missing the whole point of DRL's. They aren't to be used in the dark. They are to be used in the Daytime because research shows that you will notice a car with its lights on in the daytime versus a car without them on. This is especially important for highway driving when you are on a highway that is undivided with 2 way traffic for passing vehicles. It is so much easier to notice if a car is coming or not and is safe to pass the vehicle in front of you or not. The same goes for when you are are making a left hand turn. You can see oncoming traffic easier. The research is there to prove all of it. You just have to find it if you want the true facts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Well if the DRL were implemented correctly I would not have a problem, except for the insult of one's intelligence to work a switch.

Firstly, No high beam based DRLs (obnoxious glare)
No turn signal based DRLs (damn corvettes, not legal in Europe because they know better to f-up turn signals)
No full intensity low beam DRLs (that precludes HID lows from DRL duty, every other damn VW Touareg)

So part intensity low beams (~3/4 voltage), or fog light DRLs (some Audis), or custom DRLs like GM had on its pickups, those new Audi LEDs on the V10 S6.

That is like 10% of the DRLs out there. Until things get straightened out, it is far better to ban them all where they are of no good.
Motorcycles, funerals, emergency vehicles, school buses don't need them-if you can't see a giant yellow box on wheels, are what should be allowed to have lights on when the sun is up.
http://www.lightsout.org/story.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
my 04 intrepid dosent have drl... i dont think so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MikeW said:
Well if the DRL were implemented correctly I would not have a problem, except for the insult of one's intelligence to work a switch.

Firstly, No high beam based DRLs (obnoxious glare)
No turn signal based DRLs (damn corvettes, not legal in Europe because they know better to f-up turn signals)
No full intensity low beam DRLs (that precludes HID lows from DRL duty, every other damn VW Touareg)

So part intensity low beams (~3/4 voltage), or fog light DRLs (some Audis), or custom DRLs like GM had on its pickups, those new Audi LEDs on the V10 S6.

That is like 10% of the DRLs out there. Until things get straightened out, it is far better to ban them all where they are of no good.
Motorcycles, funerals, emergency vehicles, school buses don't need them-if you can't see a giant yellow box on wheels, are what should be allowed to have lights on when the sun is up.
http://www.lightsout.org/story.html
That the dumbest thing I've ever heard

It's like saying,"let's ban horns because some sound ****ing gay, some are too quiet and some are too loud." Thats just plain stupid.

These things serve a purpose . . .safety.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top