DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to renovate both my bathrooms this year;

Bathrooms are original to the house, (1992) and though the pics look pretty good, they are hiding alot of wear and tear.

The vanity was rotted out, not really sure why, might have just been from years of showers and moisture. Toilet keeps breaking, and has started leaking on the floor from time to time. Shower valve has a mind of its own.

Also, the house has polybutylene plumbing, which is known to get brittle in its old age---and now I'm really glad I started this as a pipe blew up on me while removing the vanity yesterday, split right in two; yep, I got wet. LOL

So lets start with before:

Day 1 & 2 of tear down; everything is torn out, and the tub/shower combo unit is getting the sawzall treatment:

Day 2, after finishing tear down, also completed the new PEX pipe rough in; along with a new pipe manifold under the house to be able to replace all the polybutylene with pex. Also removed the popcorn ceiling and prepped the walls for cement board:

I found a water leak actually in the other bathroom behind the shower stall (you can see the back of it in the pics); I am hoping there is not major damage to any of the wood structure, but we'll find out when I tear into it.

·
Registered
14,994 Posts
It looks like both of the bathrooms are back to back...?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like both of the bathrooms are back to back...?
They are.

I'd love to do both at the same time, but one has to be usable while the other is out---I could set up the hose outside or something....LOL

·
Registered
14,994 Posts
Be a hoser! lol

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,693 Posts
Dan and his hoes

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All done for today, insulation replaced, plastic up, tub installed, plumbing done.

Going to test the plumbing for leaks in the morning, if all is well, I'll finish the plastic, and install the backerboard and drywall.

·
Registered
14,994 Posts
Did you do the pex or borrow some tools to do it?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Today was all plumbing. Re-plumbed 3/4 of the house, with the exception of the kitchen and water heater; as there were no issues there, and walls would have had to come out---already have enough of that lol. Additional problems and leaks were found yesterday---as well as two defective pipe manifolds in a row (great concept---would have been nice---just dont buy the plastic one from HD)---so I had to go back to the drawing board and draw up a trunk line system as equipped originally.

The main reason, "while im there"; plus I found another more serious leak in the other bathroom, which I was able to fix so no more damage is caused; I'm really hoping there is no damage to structure; what I found so far is tsome of the drywall in the closet behind the other bathroom is wet, so that will have to be replaced.

Decided to do it all and be done; took about 8 hours (counting a trip to Home Depot) to tear out the old polybutylene and replace with PEX.

Leak tests all passed, drain leak test passed--just for the bath tub since it was replaced; now I can get back to bathroom #1 reno and install the wall board tomorrow; still have to plumb in the back outside hose faucet; and once I tear into bathroom #2 remove the rest of the polybutylene from inside the walls.

This is made a bit more difficult due to having to keep one bathroom operational lol;

Here is the pile of junk from today's work; you can see with all the sharkbites it has been repaired several times (not my doing except for one lol); none of those were leaking, but it was a mess in other places; I'd love to show off the new nice clean organized plumbing under the house, but I've been under there enough for now. LOL.

·
Registered
14,994 Posts
As Cartman says - Kick-aSS!

·
5,693 Posts
Schweet!!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alot has happened since the last posts. Hung the cement board, replaced all the removed drywall, laid down a waterproofing membrane, and primed the walls and ceiling for paint.

Today, got the back wall of the tub surround tiled up. Hoping to have the walls and floor done Monday-Tuesday.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Modern Bathroom Dan! Looks great!

·
5,693 Posts
That’s looking great!

·
Registered
14,994 Posts
The joys of drywall - yeah right!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished project Dan!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tub surround complete! Used the Schluter tile edging, made it really nice and simple to transition from the tile to the drywall. Nice clean edge that will match all the fixtures. Came out pretty nice IMO for a tile novice, and let me say this, large tiles are a bit more difficult to work with---some are bowed in the middle--add when you have walls that arent perfect---who does---it can make a bit more work. No worries; had good help and advice. Lots of good knowledge gained here; had to re-do a couple things to get it perfect, sacrificed a few tiles, in the end, it looks great!

Floor tile tomorrow. You can see a preview of that in the lower left corner of the pic. Hoping to complete that and be able to grout it all this weekend; then there will be a light at the end of the tunnel on this bathroom!

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
Very nice!

·
5,693 Posts
Niiiice!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Love that tile style and color!