DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know I've asked about upgrading an alternator but cannot find one. I even went to dodge to see if there were any that could work and they said no way. I have an Orion HCCA 2100 amp that puts out about 2200 watts that I want to hook up to two 12in Resonant Engineering SX's. Can I run this system with no problem without somehow calling a magic fairy to bring me a mythical alternator? If so please let me know what I should do to make it work. I have a 2001 concorde with the 2.7 engine and the stock alternator puts out 120 amps.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I found this post: (This guy has a HCCA2100)

My amp is rated for 60 amps of draw, yet it draws 108 amps on a burp.... guess you can't go by fusing can ya! It's drawing between 20-30 amps at the loudest level I listen to, plus the other 2 amps good for 25 amps of draw or so total at loudest listening level. So, I'm at 55 amps, PLUS the HU, processors, radar detector, lights, etc. I have a 60 amp alternator, why is my car fine? Playing music, you dont have a CONSTANT full draw, thats why I'm not killing the alternator. I have 2 batteries, those take the sudden hard load off the alternator.
(Found on post #9 on this forum)

According to him anyway he's fine with a 60amp alt! Depends on how loud you listen to music and what other goodies you've got in the car, but I think you'll be fine with 120Amp....

just my 2 cents anyway... :dunno:

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
You should be plenty fine. During most music listening you're actually drawing a very insignificant amount of current. Only when you're really pounding showing off or running test tones does the amp ever typically draw anything close to what it's rated. Run large cable, adjust the amp properly so it doesn't clip and you should be fine.

As for that other post, those extra batteries aren't really doing much for him since the ESR is much too high in most batteries to actually supply current fast enough to make much difference. Besides the fact the entire electrical system has to drop to around 12v before a battery becomes a source anyway... ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey DB I went to my local car audio shop to purchase the wire needed to wire this amp and the guy keep telling me I need another battery probally as well. He is usually knowledgable when it comes to car audio and had no problems or heard compaints in the past. Am I going to have to get another battery or will I be fine?

on a side note damn 0 guage wire is expensive haha

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Another battery will be only another drain on the alternator. A battery won't even begin to supply current when the engine is running until the voltage drops to around 12v. The only point in having a second battery is if you plan to run the system with the engine turned off you'll have some extra power and if wired properly through an isolator you'll never kill your main starting battery. But that's overkill for most systems...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts