DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent gotten a charger for my batt while it sits in the garage and now its dead.
I go down each weekend and start it so it usually stays alright.
Do i need to get it started again now that its dead? I dont want my battery to get ruined or something. its so cold I dont really want to stand out there... :p

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Even at comfy temperatures, a battery can destroy itself if left in a prolonged state of discharge. In the cold ass mid-west (-13 F in Wis.) the trouble is worse. A discharged battery can freeze solid at temps as warm as +20 F. A fully charged battery can withstand temps of -80 F. Once it freezes you can kiss the batt goodbye.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You may have damaged it big time. Heck my batter just sitting out in this stuff was having issues, and it has been fully charged.

--Gorm

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Honest answer, cold doesn't kill batteries, fluctuating temps do. Cold just makes the symptoms seem worse since it takes more power to turn over the motor and because cars tend to sit more.

Just buy a battery tender for under $30 and never have this problem again

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so even when I get it charged up it like wont have as much power or something?

what do you mean I damaged it big time? its just in the garage and sat in the freezing ass cold for a week and died! are you serious?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
he said you may have damaged it big time. If the liquid inside is or was frozen, then it's a goner. If it didn't freeze , then it may be worth charging it up and giving it a try, but leaving it discharged even if it didn't freeze can diminish it's useful capacity, and the death of that battery won't be very far in the future.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
With normal cycles meaning normal everyday use, batteries can easily last 6, 7 or 8 years. A discharged battery is not it's gauranteed fate but a discharged battery and cold weather is death for the battery.
When a battery is drained down. It's mostly water and water freezes. Frozen water wrecks the plates and it's all over.

What do you mean by this?

Dr5D said:
I go down each weekend and start it so it usually stays alright.

If you don't drive the car long enough to fully charge the battery and get the engine up to full operating temperature. You are doing more damage than helping.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run it for like 20 min o rmore when I do
its up on jackstand so I cant drive it. even if I could i wouldent (cause of ins...) and the weather is too nasty. its crappy winter beater time! :D :p
its an optima red if that might matter(?) i know they are made differently, figured id mention it

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I jumped it yesterday and all seemed fine.
then I turned it off and tryed to start it like 2 minutes later. it was totally dead. the dash lights wouldent even come on.
I called the optima ppl and a guy told me that they have a 3 year warrenty
I called the place I got it and they said if I dont get a replacement I get a pro-rated discound on a new one.
wow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts