DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I've had two previous defective water pumps. One was a brand new Mopar brand water pump for a 96 LHS w/3.5L. It failed the first day. I found that the impeller became loose on the shaft. The second happened on a 02 Trep Police Pkg w/3.5L. That one also came just loose enough to walk backwards and start rubbing on the rear water pump housing. Now I've got a different 02 Cop car w/3.5L which I suspect has the same problem. Has anyone ever drilled and pinned the impeller and shaft on these water pumps?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, follow up, 02 trep 3.5L police were 104k miles: it appears the problem, this time, is the t-stat. I've literally owned hundreds of Mopars, and I have never had a working t-stat die on me. I've bought defective aftermarket t-stats, but I've never had one just stop working for no apparent reason, certainly not a Mopar oem one. I bought a new one, and tested both new and old on the stove, and sure as hell, the old one would not open. I replaced the water pump(the impeller had not slipped as I had expected), because I had bought a new one anyway, and upon closer inspection I found that there was evidence of some leakage at the weep hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the timing belt and water pump when I bought my son's '94 Vision 3.5 in 2010. After about six months, the car would overheat occasionally. Many episodes later, after replacing a couple of thermostats and finally removing the thermostat, I finally removed the top radiator hose, started the engine and found that the pump wasn't working. I replaced the water pump and the car had no more overheating problems.

After removing the defective water pump I tried to turn the impeller on it's shaft, but couldn't. It had to be the problem because the overheating problem went away. I guess it would start to slip when it was heated by the coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts