DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a IL license and I got a ticket in VA. I am currently living in MD for 1 year contract job. Anyway, in Illinois if you get a ticket, you can either get a court supervision or take a defensive driver class and your conviction wont be reported on your license. You can do this once a year.

They have similar programs in all states including VA, where you can take this class and your conviction wont be notified on your license.

My question is can I take a defensive driver class in VA, so that the VA court does not notify Illinois DMV about my conviction.

Can anybody answer my question, or do you guys know of a forum related to traffic tickets. Thank you

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I think it depends on the states, if VA shares info with Illinois. Like where I live, UT does not share info with AZ. When I got a ticket in UT, it didn't even show up on my AZ driving record.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh really, I thought all 50 states shared information. !!!

Anyway, I am tired of searching for information. Could not find any info on taking classes towards an out-of-state ticket. I need a free Lawyer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I believe that for getting a ticket in VA, you will only have to pay the fine for VA, no points.

I think this is because VA is a commonwealth state. My friend got a ticket two months ago in VA for 100 in a 65 on the interstate, only had to pay the fine no points or insurance points carry over. I know other people that got tickets in NY, PA, CT, all got points carried over. I think VA, WV are the only two that do this. you might have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with me is not points, because IL state does not have points. Your license gets suspended if you have 3 tickets in a year or 2 reckless driving tickets in a year. So if Virginia reports this speeding ticket then I might have problems with my IL driving license.

-----
Your friend got a ticket @ 100mph. Thats reckless driving which is a criminal mistemenor. I hope he knew that and had a lawyer. Paying just the fine will cause damage to his criminal record.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Illinois state shows all my out-of-state tickets. I received 2 in TN and both those tickets show up on my IL driving record. I also received a letter from IL state stating that one more ticket would get my license suspended for 30 days or more.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It will be there running the dl or plate will show all inquiries, out of state info, convictions and what not. NLets which is federal contains reports for all 50 states its also the hub that connect each state to share information. so yes if you have a ticket and you convected of it it can be found. either by a name check, dl, or plate number. some states tho are harder to get the info from as far as that texas being one of them as they are not prone to sharing info without having to dig a hole. we can also access canadian file to as can they.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
My advice to you if you can't resolve this like real quicklike, get a Driver's License in Virginia.

That way, who cares if Illinois suspends your license cause you already have your VA one. In some states, all you have to do is turn in your other state's valid license to get a new one in that state. Some, will require you to take a test. Either case, get a VA one. Problem solved.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was thinking of doing that too. Get a MD or VA license, but after a little bit of research I found out that the points do transfer to your new license if both states are member of the Drivers License Compact. Unfortunately MD, VA, DC and IL are all members. So it does not matter. I think they have this law so that everybody who gets lots of points cannot just change their licensing state to protect themselves from suspension.

The one good thing I found is that MD gives no points for out-of-state tickets. So I can transfer to MD license and have zero points (you still get a conviction for the out-of-state ticket). The only thing is that in MD, if you get 8 points your license gets suspended. That is if you get 2 tickets for 30+mph in 2 years you will lose your license. Since I live in MD right now, I dont want MD license, because I will definetly get more than 2 tickets in a 2 year period.

I may move back to IL or whereever I get a new contract after my current expires. Before I do this, I will get myself a MD license, that way I wont get any points for tickets issued outside of MD.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
this guy i know lost his licence in Michigan, and went to Arizona where his dad lives and got a licence there..and drives here no problem...the cops came to kick us out of a park, and asked for our ID's and they asked him how long he is gonna be in town...so maybe they don't share info?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Strongt said:
I think it depends on the states, if VA shares info with Illinois. Like where I live, UT does not share info with AZ. When I got a ticket in UT, it didn't even show up on my AZ driving record.
Hopefully you won't get another ticket here at home! It'll probably show up when/if you do! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
In2Deep said:
Hopefully you won't get another ticket here at home! It'll probably show up when/if you do! :biggrin:
I all ready took care of it when I got my Utah license. I don't like messing with the cops here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts