DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking through a tuner mag and i came upon an article about this nice little setup.....uses carbon dioxide to reduce the temperature of the air coming from the intake....comes in either 2.5" or 3.0" for the intake setup....supposedly reduces temperatures up to 50 degrees Farenheit...they also offer a purge setup to give the effect of a nitrous purge :icon_roll

not hard to install at all from what it seems just running the lines and powering the solenoid and switch is all it takes :-D

for the price of the 10lb tank and install kit for 393.33 and intake assembly for 156.00 and if u want the purge setup with its own solenoid and dual tubes for 146.67

not a bad setup for close to 700 bux.... u guys have any feedback on this setup..?

NOTE: they also have charges for those of u who have turbo'd the cars and have an intercooler as well :biggthump

Article by FORD on increase in power from the system also shows step by step install....sorta.......http://www.designengineering.com/images/downloads/DEI_PerformanceFord2.pdf

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I remember talking about this before.

What is the benefit over N02 ? Just cost(CO2 being cheaper to refill)?

If it is so hot why isn't the pro drag racing crowd using this stuff instead of nitrous?

I still think that CO2 sounds kinda iffy. If you burn the O2 in NO2, harmless nitrogen is left. If you burn CO2 isn't carbon left over? Aren't carbon deposits what we try to keep out of our engines?

I know just enough to ask ignorant questions so take it easy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04IntrepidSXT said:
First question is that it is cheaper to refill yes and is safer overall for ur engine as well as easier to install

04IntrepidSXT said:
If it is so hot why isn't the pro drag racing crowd using this stuff instead of nitrous?
This isnt a substitute for nitrous...ur not putting CO2 into the engine...ur cooling a core that draws heat out of the air to make it cooler and denser...nitrous is a speed boost where as this setup is a Cooling system...

04IntrepidSXT said:
If you burn CO2 isn't carbon left over? Aren't carbon deposits what we try to keep out of our engines?
as i stated above ur not burning CO2...ur putting it through a core and venting it out...never going into the engine..unless u put the vent hose near the air intake.....

hope i answered some of ur questions.....:)

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
The CO2 doesn't go into the chamber, all its used for is cooling the intake charge, not used to speed combustion. The CO2 is used alot on turbo and blown cars, because it can be used to help the intercooler in freezing the charge. Cooler air is better (hence the cold air intakes everywhere), and the CO2 spray in the intake knocks about 35% of the heat out of it.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
I remember talking about this before.

I still think that CO2 sounds kinda iffy. If you burn the O2 in NO2, harmless nitrogen is left. If you burn CO2 isn't carbon left over? Aren't carbon deposits what we try to keep out of our engines?

I know just enough to ask ignorant questions so take it easy
What good is nitrogen dioxide (no2?). Its N2O.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Looks like a neat system.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Astrogiblet said:
Sounds pretty sweet.... Anybody have an estimate as to possible horsepower gains?

-Brandon

quoting right from the website on the HP gains

That is a tricky question for because of the many variables involved in the physics of the system - base horsepower, altitude, ambient air temp, humidity, intake system, MASS airflow sensor and intercooler efficiency can all affect the performance of the system. We tested a naturally aspirated Honda Civic with 110base HP on an 85°F day with 72% humidity using just one Air Intake Chamber and found a 9% increase in horsepower. In this example we saw an intake temperature of 38°F and that is just with an Air Intake Chamber. Other tests have produced horsepower increases in excess of 40+ from heat soaked conditions utilizing our cryogenic components. What racer couldn’t use an extra 40 horsepower. Think about how your car performs on a nice cool fall morning…it feels more responsive and powerful. As the engine heats up it loses horsepower and becomes a little sluggish…What we have created is a way to give you that cool fall morning on demand and eliminate power robbing heat soak!!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ah.. Guess I should of gone to the website eh? Thanks...

If only I had a spare 500$, but the system 340duster is selling comes with parts for an intercooler too right? So theres got to be a cheaper system to get you rolling (maybe he had one on his site.. didnt look to heavily)..

-Brandon

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Ah.. Guess I should of gone to the website eh? Thanks...

If only I had a spare 500$, but the system 340duster is selling comes with parts for an intercooler too right? So theres got to be a cheaper system to get you rolling (maybe he had one on his site.. didnt look to heavily)..

-Brandon
Look closer.

I have one set up without the intercooler kit, and I also have ones on there that are bare bones pieces. You can get the tank and install kit ($339) and the fuel bar, intake sprayer, and intercooler pieces all separate.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Holy Jerex212 said:
think we can get a discount for a group buy possibly ? i have some people w/o dodge intrepids that would love to get this.....
Lets see...if you can rustle up 3 people, here's what we can do...

Part Number 80100, includes 5lb tank and install kit-$310 shipped, add $20 for 10lb tank instead of 5.
#80110, 80111, 3", 2.5" Intake sprayer-$125 shipped
#8012x, Fuel Bar -6AN fittings, (polished, red, purple, blue)-$95 shipped.
#80302, Single Purge Kit-$120 shipped
#80303, Dual Purge Kit-$130 shipped.

The base Intake kit would then become $435 instead of $480.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Did anybody else notice this? If you download that PDF file about the CRY02 system, they say all the mods on the car they are testing it with: new pistons, new cams, turbo, chip, 2 stage intercooler, and 21 PSI of boost, yet they are only making 188 horsepower lol. Thats like what 5 grand into the car and its only making 188 horsepower? Holy crap.. and isnt 21psi a **** load of boost?

-Brandon

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
21 psi is def alot....i think they might have their numbers wrong.....i think this system would be "cool" ;) if u can use the intercooler sprayer on the radiator at a consistant rate.....just not to a point where u run the bottle of CO2 out in 3 min....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts