DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original recall just went up to 4 million batteries. Turns out my Inspiron 9300 was one of them, ordered my free new battery today. Here's the link where you can check, and order a new one if needed.
www.dellbatteryprogram.com

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Turns out Sony is the battery manufacturer and is responsible for the recall not Dell. Yet Dell will have to pay some of the price.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Dell and Sony are both proprietory BS manufacturers......I stay as far away as I can.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Avenger said:
Dell and Sony are both proprietory BS manufacturers......I stay as far away as I can.
You seriously think that your Compaq POS has a compaq battery?

My dads thinkpads battery is made by sanyo,

And my battery in my dell is made by motorola:
(from my bios)
Battery manufacturer: Motorola
Battery device name: 66W-A01
Battery location: Right Module Bay
Battery manufacturing date: 7/21/2003 (SBDS)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Avenger said:

You bought a ****in Compaq, you shouldn't even be allowed into this thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got a Dell E1505 in early June and cannot speak highly enough of it. Luckily, my battery isn't on the replacement list.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The entire Dell-vs-IBM-VS-HP/Compaq-VS-Whatever is nothing but a Ford-VS-Dodge-VS-etc... you get my point.

I have way too many years messing with laptops from Dell, HP, Compaq (before the HP merge), Toshiba, Sony, DeadCow (Gateway), etc. I can tell you great things about all of them, and I can tell you horror stories about all of them. All in all I can recommend a Dell or Toshiba laptop to anyone and feel very good about it. The StinkPads are nice, and have gotten much better, but not so much that they should get the premium price that IBM is asking for them, and I will say the quality and support have gone down since the Lenovo Merger took place last year.

Get what you like, the only thing I would promise is that someone will tell you it's a POS, but then again opinions are just like........

As far as the battery thing goes, at least they are stepping up to the plate and taking care of this for you. Not to mention that if your system is over a year old, a new battery is only a good thing!

·
Registered
531 Posts
2ktrep said:
The entire Dell-vs-IBM-VS-HP/Compaq-VS-Whatever is nothing but a Ford-VS-Dodge-VS-etc... you get my point.

I have way too many years messing with laptops from Dell, HP, Compaq (before the HP merge), Toshiba, Sony, DeadCow (Gateway), etc. I can tell you great things about all of them, and I can tell you horror stories about all of them. All in all I can recommend a Dell or Toshiba laptop to anyone and feel very good about it. The StinkPads are nice, and have gotten much better, but not so much that they should get the premium price that IBM is asking for them, and I will say the quality and support have gone down since the Lenovo Merger took place last year.

Get what you like, the only thing I would promise is that someone will tell you it's a POS, but then again opinions are just like........

As far as the battery thing goes, at least they are stepping up to the plate and taking care of this for you. Not to mention that if your system is over a year old, a new battery is only a good thing!

I'm a systems analyst, I work with everything from laptops to servers, and I know a little bit on this subject - and you've just made the most intelligent post in this thread.

·
Registered
391 Posts
first of all, LOL at what the guy said about the guy buying a compaq and telling him to gtfo, rofl again.

I am the type of guy that loves to buy his own parts and build your own machine, we all know its hard to do that with laptops so its just cheaper and easier to buy them. I myself have an Averatec 6130HS I bought a bit over a year ago. There are all brands and models and in my opinion they all suck from the factory. You basically need to do some research, find a machine with a good cpu, good vid card(for games, if thats ur fancy), lots of ram, and a good fast hd that wont melt your hands. Other than that, THEY ALL COME WITH **** ASS OS's with preloaded garbage. First thing you gotta do is format, HEHE, and install your own modified OS and drivers, etc. You will be all set and happy with any laptop. I fix these guys in my spare time and the garbage I see if too funny. I upgrade ram, hd, and format, install os, and drivers with their apps that ppl actually use and presto!

As for the battery thing, my laptop was the test dummy and used the freakin pentium 4 3ghz chips. The thing lasts 1.2 hours, so I just use it as another desktop, always plugged in. :fun_08: :fun_08: :fun_08:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Yep, Compaq recalled some of their batteries last year too......mine was an unaffected model though.

......sorry, I have a heavy bias away from Dell because of the Canadian price gouging they incurr on us up here, while the US folks get deals :( My sister's BF bought a Dell XPS desktop for $5k.......I told him he overpaid by about double :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
2ktrep said:

Awesome post. I've been fixing computers since I got my first one in the third grade and I have been building them since 7th grade. All laptops are proprietary and all can be a REAL PAIN in the butt. You can't escape it, laptops suck when they break..... except for me be cause they make me money. :D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
This ain't the first time sony screwed the pooch!

Sony batteries have had a lengthy history of flaming out. Back in 1995, Apple had a big recall on ALL the LiIon batteries for use in the PowerBook 5300, unfortunately for the owners of said PB5300s, you got a NiMH battery instead.

The LiIon batteries in the Apples were made by Sony. Sony also had a huge fire at one of their battery plants in Japan a few years ago.

·
Registered
531 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Awesome post. I've been fixing computers since I got my first one in the third grade and I have been building them since 7th grade. All laptops are proprietary and all can be a REAL PAIN in the butt. You can't escape it, laptops suck when they break..... except for me be cause they make me money. :D
Actually there are (or at least were til recently) quite a few laptops which were designed by mysterious third parties and slightly modified to be sold under different brand names - and you never heard of the companies that designed and built 'em. I think of laptops as a necessary evil - you get one if you really need a laptop - but in general, because they have to try to make them do so much in a small light package, they just can't begin to compare to a desktop machine for durability, upgradeablity, repairability... they are a compromise from the word go. I have my favorite brand(s) but I would take any desktop machine over any laptop, for just plain doing the best job if you don't need portability.

I just ordered 19 funky batteries originally intended for a Gateway laptop, for some Dell X200's we have. Probably the only two machines that can take this weird battery - I wonder how it happens that just these two can fit this odd battery.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Indiana Intrep said:
I'm a systems analyst, I work with everything from laptops to servers, and I know a little bit on this subject - and you've just made the most intelligent post in this thread.

I 1/2 agree with his post. Of course I despise dell as they are big competition for me. I work for a large distributor, and he is right that they ALL have problems, however I did have a customer who had a deal for 200 Dell notebooks. When they showed up, more than 10% were DOA. I had a nice month with HP notebooks that month :)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Avenger said:
Yep, Compaq recalled some of their batteries last year too......mine was an unaffected model though.

......sorry, I have a heavy bias away from Dell because of the Canadian price gouging they incurr on us up here, while the US folks get deals :( My sister's BF bought a Dell XPS desktop for $5k.......I told him he overpaid by about double :)
What a coincidence, I have a bias toawrds Canadian Beer, cause it's kinda like drinkin stripper piss, but I digress. I would never even pay more than $1200 for a full system. I paid $844 for my Dell Inspiron 9300, 17" widescreen, 1.8 Intel Centrino, and paid $350 for a 3 year, anything happens, no questions asked, in-home service warranty.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Indiana Intrep said:
Actually there are (or at least were til recently) quite a few laptops which were designed by mysterious third parties and slightly modified to be sold under different brand names - and you never heard of the companies that designed and built 'em. I think of laptops as a necessary evil - you get one if you really need a laptop - but in general, because they have to try to make them do so much in a small light package, they just can't begin to compare to a desktop machine for durability, upgradeablity, repairability... they are a compromise from the word go. I have my favorite brand(s) but I would take any desktop machine over any laptop, for just plain doing the best job if you don't need portability.

I just ordered 19 funky batteries originally intended for a Gateway laptop, for some Dell X200's we have. Probably the only two machines that can take this weird battery - I wonder how it happens that just these two can fit this odd battery.

I'm actually aware of this. My mom has a Sager NP5680 and it's really a Clevo D500 series laptop. It's basically a desktop PC in a laptop case. 10 pounds, 1 hour battery life and fast as hell when it came out. (P4 2.6GHz, 800MHz FSB!)

My friend's Cyberpower is an MSI laptop.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
What a coincidence, I have a bias toawrds Canadian Beer, cause it's kinda like drinkin stripper piss, but I digress.
:laughing: :laughing: :monkeypis :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
I paid $844 for my Dell Inspiron 9300, 17" widescreen, 1.8 Intel Centrino, and paid $350 for a 3 year, anything happens, no questions asked, in-home service warranty.
Wow, that's a great deal........probably just got a basic 9300? I would NEVER pay almost 50% extra for 2 years extra warranty.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Avenger said:
Wow, that's a great deal........probably just got a basic 9300? I would NEVER pay almost 50% extra for 2 years extra warranty.
I could drop my laptop off my 3rd floor balcony on the day before the last of the warranty, and have a new laptop inside 2 weeks, free of charge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts