DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 1999 dodge intrepid,it has 57,500 miles on it and counting.the resale value of this car is one of the worst on the market.I've added tints,prestige security system w/remote start & keyless entry.I would love to add some 17" or 18" wheels soon but I'm turned off by seeing the value of my car drop every month at a higher rate then most technolgy fund.my wheels will be worth more then my car in about 3 years. my question to everyone is ,do you guys think 2nd generation intrepid will be dependable used cars after 100k???or will it fall apart like those 1st generation intrepid I've seen? how many miles on youre intrepid??

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The great thing about buying a used Intrepid is that they are cheap good looking cars.

The worst thing about trying to sell a used Intrepid is that they are cheap good looking cars. :wink:

For the most part, the Intrepid's actually hold up well in high mileage situations. We have plenty of members well over the 100,000 mile mark without a multitude of problems.

I'd say go for the mods, if you like the car and you don't plan on selling it until it's dead...who cares how much it's worth? Plus even if you do sell it, the wheels have the same bolt pattern as half of the small and mid sized cars on the market today. (includes Mustang, Eclipse, Avenger, Stratus to name just a few) So the wheels you get might even fit whatever your next car is.

:blush:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My car is at 107,600 miles and I would say the dependability has something to be desired. I am guessing though that the senond gen cars have better trannies and such.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
intrepid1999, my 98 is about 300 miles away from 100k and I haven't had any problems with it yet *knock on wood*

·
Registered
427 Posts
Intrepid1999, we've had our 2000 R/T since mother's day with 5100 miles. It's now the end of Feb. and we have 27,000 miles. Almost 22,000 miles and no significant problems. I think you're in good shape. Remember, oil changes, keeping it clean, topping off your fluids = dependable transportation:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
mine's a 1st gen 3.5 and it has almost 64,000 and it's in great condition. no reliability issues at all. granted the 97 was the most reliable of all 1st gens but still i wouldn't feel apprehensive about buying any intrepid if i was too worried about reliability.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine is a 94 concorde with 130,000 miles and then trans only complains moderately. When it goes, I don't think I will have any hesitation in putting in the $1500 for a rebuild, we'll see. But other than that... no complaints at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
no way

Definitely not... not even dependable when it's new. One of the stupidest things I have ever done in my life was buying this car.

I think I might take the loss and get rid of it... I hate it more and more each and everyday.

Anyway welcome to the Intrepid club.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excuse Tom Intrepid1999, he is a little frustated. So far what we have been able to figure out about this guy is that he bought an Intrepid and now hates it. One of two things probably happened; #1 He went to a Dodge dealership and because he is very low in self-confidence and self-control he bought the car in a buying-impulse state of mind(in another words, he let the salesman talk him into the deal). #2 He hasn't figured himself out. Picture it this way. If you're buying a big ticket item wouldn't you know what you want first?? Like, say if you buy a house, a year later are you going to say that it stinks?? No, because if you're a smart individual and have a high IQ you would have done your homework first. But then again, some people are not that smart and do have inner problems. That's just part of life, right Tom??

Larson.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I met a cabbie in Toronto last week that had 400,000 km /250,000 miles on his 95 Intrepid . Apart from desperately needing shocks it still went like hell and was in pretty good shape. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
things are'nt that bad for me, i bought a 3yr/36000 warranty so i know i will be covered untill my car hits 86000 miles.so I'm all set!!worst case I'll have a new transmission for only a $100 deductable.thanks everyone for you're input,I think I"m going to buy some 18" wheels on monday morning and just enjoy whippin in my car for a couple years! w.t.b intrepid club

·
Registered
37 Posts
NY rental

Rented one and drove to NY from Boston. I liked the way it drove... Went to 3 dealers before buying one.

Never had to hit the brakes hard on the way to NY. Wish I had because then I would have realized how terrible the brakes are on this car.

The car I drove to NY had a 2.7... which I felt was underpowered.. so I got a 3.2... still underpowered. Or is that really it?

For instance yesterday I am pulling away from a stop. There is a pickup truck next to me and we are side by side. The pick up truck is pulling away normally but I can't get in front of him... in fact I am falling behind but he isn't trying to race me. What I am saying is it's all or nothing with this shitbox. It's either slow as molasses or you have to hear the thing go nuts when it down shifts. Then if you let off the gas it keeps making this whoosh sound from the transmission. It's very very sluggish power.

Anyway after driving to NY-Boston I liked it... after 12K I hate it.

Tom

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Buy the extended warranty. You will need it. My 98 Intrepid started falling apart at 80,00KM. In two months it nedded a starter(very common),a rod bearing failed(also common on 98-2000's),power steering pump,A/C compressor(very common). I had to dump it. If I ever buy another DC car I will not keep it any longer than the warranty last(Extended warranties are expensive for DC cars but you will need it). I consider myself lucky that the transmission didn't let go.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If it hasn't sinked in yet for anyone, Tom's Intrepid is a lemon.

Of course people who buy lemons are going to be mad at the manufacturer. Should they be? Yes. Should they refuse to buy products from that company again? No.

People have been buying lemon-scented cars since they were first created and mass-produced... from EVERY manufacturer.

And as for your comment, adaptabl, show me any other car from any other manufacturer that doesn't have commonly-problematic parts and maybe I'll believe you.

I know I've said all of this before, but until some people get it through their thick heads that their car-owning experience IS NOT NECESSARILY GOING TO BE BETTER WITH ANOTHER BRAND, I'll keep saying it.

End of story.

·
Registered
562 Posts
adaptabl-

If you wanna complain about cars go buy a a ford taurus with a 3.8L and call me when the head gasket blows. The same for a pontiac grand am with i believe the 2.4 (?). Every car has problems. Not matter what kind of car you get something is bound to happen to it sometime or another. SO quit your ****ing bitching and either A) Leave the forums or B) Learn to enjoy the POWER and apperance of such fine cars!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well,
I got my '98 ES last August with 60k on it. Today (about 7 months later) I am at just over 75k, having put on 15k in a short period of time with many long trips from Cleveland to Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Detriot. As far as I know, everything is stock from factory other than new tires and spark plugs I added right after I purchased it. Not a complaint from my instrument panel to date. Car has been extremely reliable, handles excellent in rain and snow, is very much beautifully designed, has tons of space, and has more than adaquate power IMO (3.2L, 225hp). For as big as this beast is, I am very impressed. As I've read here over and over, no company is going to be immune from creating a lemon product, sometimes the chips just fall the wrong way, and thats why we have lemon laws today! I very much like my car, and will most definatley consider another one for my next purchase, preferably an R/T:cool: Just my 2/100ths of a $:dozeoff:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts