DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much time could it take (a dodge dealer) to figure out that a speed sensor and a window motor went bad on a 98 trep? Don't they just have to hook it up to a computer?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
would a diagnostic tool show a burnt out window motor?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I doubt there's any code for a window motor, but some symptoms would give it away. If your headlights dim while pushing the window switch, then the motor is trying to work. If it doesn't, could be a wiring problem either in the car or inside the motor. As far as the speed sensor goes, there is a code that the transmission sends out if the input speed sensor reading conflicts with the output speed sensor reading.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Bart ]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply. Well this is what happened. Last Sunday I was on the highway and all of a sudden I felt a extra push on the engine, next thing you know my speed-o-meter went dead. As I kept on driving I realized that my rpm meter was sky high, so I thought my tranny went dead. Fortunately, I purchased and extended warranty and took it the local dodge dealer. Now here is the bad part. The dealer said that my warranty insurance wont cover diagnosis time, which is true, but he made it seem like it was a mission to find out the problem.
He is charging me 126 dollars! Could this be true?
:confused: I thought you just plug it to a computer and get the error code... :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Only things controlled by the computers will trigger fault codes.The speed sensor should have been a easy one to find with a diagnostic tool the dealers use ,the window should not be that hard as they are a common problem. But your warranty does not cover diagnostics so this is when the dealer will make his money

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Look at the bright side...$126 is a paltry sum to pay. Imagine if it was your trans and you had no warranty. Goodbye $1,500 plus labour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts