DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i had my waterpump and timing chain tensioner replaced and now my mileage really sucks bigtime i don't know what happened anyone ever have this problem i'm totally lost here :banghead:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
How does the engine run, as opposed to before the chain and stuff were replaced? I wonder if its possible the timing might be slightly off.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Interesting. what kind of mileage were u getting before u had the car worked on? Is it a big difference after getting fixed?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Time for a full tune-up? With the kind of miles you probably have on the car it could be a coincidence that the mileage went to hell at the same time some mechanical parts just plain wore out.

What motor, a 2.7??

It might be a good idea to have the valve/crank timing double checked but don't assume that there is a problem there. Go through all the usual power/performance/mpg troubleshooting steps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. Gas mileage just was not as good as before the chain and pump were replaced. Not sure what to look at first. I should be excited about getting those things replaced but now there's something else to worry about. Don't know what to look at now!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Just a thought, but is it possible that the new chain is nice and tight like a new chain should be, therefore might rob a little power? I knew it sounds kinda dumb, but if you noticed a drastic change from before the immediately after, then its far from coincidence. since you mentioned chain and tensioners, we're talking 2.7L safe to assume. Here's a thought, even though it probably has already been done. How about resetting the computer? Chances are high that the garage or however worked on the car had the battery disconnected. If they didn't, maybe the pcm needs to relearn things since the new chain. Or, how long has it been out of the shop? Maybe its too soon and the computer is still relearning?

Hey, its not even 7 in the morning on a Saturday. I'm still half asleep so if my thoughts sound a little strange, well there's my excuse!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and thanks for all your responses...Here is more detail

1. It is a 2.7,and the pump and tensioner were replaced not the chain.
2. Mileage was about 500 KM+ per tank and now we are not hitting 300 KM+ per tank
3. Current mileage 130,000 Km on the car.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
marshall said:

2. Mileage was about 500 KM+ per tank and now we are not hitting 300 KM+ per tank
Kinda strange, but all that work to replace the pump and tensioner and NOT put a new chain on seems a little dumb to me. If it were me (unless the chain was fairly new), I would have gone for a new chain along with the rest. No extra labor involved, since the chain is already out for the other stuff.

Anyway, how long ago was the work done? Days, weeks, months? By any chance did they change the oil after the work was done? It should have been since there is a very good chance of contaminating the oil with coolant. Almost a certainty on these motors. I don't think not changing the oil would affect your mileage, but it will not be good for your motor if its got coolant in it. How's the idle seem? Higher or lower than normal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
marshall said:

Wow! You didn't replace that chain! I mean I know that you only have 80K+ miles there but if you don't mind me asking why not the chain(s) too. Would have saved you some money in labor like froggy said down the road. I don't want to make a guess so if you don't mind me asking... Was there a reason or issue with the engine that made you decide to replace the pump and tensioner in particular? In my case it was time to make the replacement. Did the chains, pump, tensioner and guides before just before 99K miles :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The water pump was seeping and kept getting airlocked. It was a warranty repair, The Chrysler dealer did the work. I am not sure why it was not replaced, I assume the chain may have been looked over as I am sure if there was an issue they would have taken the opportunity to make some more $$$$.

The work was done about 2-3 weeks ago now, and the change in milage has been noticed since the day we got the car back. She seems to be idling good... no discernible difference...as far as the oil change I am doing that today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The engine was airlocked and no heat. There was (minimal) antifreeze on the ground and the fluid was up,so I knew it was seeping but I just got the car and wanted to make sure it was fixed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good thing you had that warranty :spiral: But anyway, back to what you talking about earlier. I think froggy has a point about the battery disconnect...have you tried it yet! I did it yesterday so I can't tell you yet if it helped or not but it can't hurt and it doen't cost anything.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
marshall said:
The water pump was seeping and kept getting airlocked. It was a warranty repair, The Chrysler dealer did the work. I am not sure why it was not replaced, I assume the chain may have been looked over as I am sure if there was an issue they would have taken the opportunity to make some more $$$$.
As far as any extra $$$, it would have been some extra cash for the additional parts (new timing chain). the labor was already being performed. I don't see how they could charge you anything additional for labor. I think if you pushed the dealer hard enough to do the chain while they had it aprt, they probably would have.

How long did u drive it while you were having no heat issues, and water pump seepage? Also, was it leaking externally thru the weep hole on the driver's side or was it leaking into the engine? Reason why I ask is that if its been leaking into the engine and you were driving it for awhile like that, you may end up with a lot more problems than just lousy fuel economy. the word "sludge" comes to mind. Having coolant mis into the oil is not a good thing. Another reason why I asked earlier if the oil was changed after the work was done. The dealer shold have known that. Any time engine work is done where there is the potential for contamination the oil needs to be changed. Things like replacing head gaskets and depending on the engine design (like the 2.7 with the water pump inside), replacing the water pump also would warrant changing the oil immediately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts