DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son's new car, a '96 Eagle Vision just died on him while driving home from work. He said he was just driving and the motor died and now it won't start. Everything else works. I'm thinking it would be the timing belt most likley. How can you check for this problemswithout tearing everything apart? We changed the thermostat the day before and I kept getting a whiff of what smelled like hot or burning rubber from the front of the engine, not to strong but enough to notice. What do you think. The car has 89k on it.
I checked the codes and there were none.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We pulled out the timing senser and inside was turning so we pulled off the cover to see and the belt is still on and everything is turning. I pulled a plug wire to see if there was any spark but I don't get any. Ignition module problem maybe?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I just ran into a similar problem yesterday morning with my daughter's '96 Concorde. Car would turn over but wouldn't start. She said it was running fine when she shut it off - no problems at all, it just wouldn't start. It turned out to be a bad Auto Shutdown relay.

Swap one of the radiator fan relays for the Auto Shutdown relay. Follow that up by swapping it with the EAXT (?) relay and the fuel pump relay if need be. All three of those relays have to be working for the car to run. There are a couple of fuses out there under the hood that need to be good, too. I can't remember which ones as I found my problem but it should be obvious when you look at them (they're all listed on the under-side of the lid).

Free and easy to check even if it isn't your problem - cheap to fix if it is. Good luck - and let us know what happens ...!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have now replaced the ignition coil and then got a code 54: no camshaft signal detected during cranking. We changed the camshaft senser and still no start. We disconnected the battery to let the computer reset and now have only code 12. We also checked all the relays and fuses and found no bad ones. You can hear the fuel pump prime up when the key is turned on and there is fuel at the fuel rail. It turns over freely but just won't fire up. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need to check the timing on that engine. The belt will sometimes fail, jump time, and take the sensor with it. Everything turns, but the engine will no longer start. I've seen this described a number of times here in the forums.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Maybe it was your crank sensor but the sensor need to be very near the Flywheel. You can paly with the sensor to move it near the flywhell. The cam sensor work like the crank. Because you remove it to see the belt maybe is to far away from the cam sprocket.

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
if you smelled hot burning rubber, from the front of the engine, i'd bet you melted/cut/blew up the timing belt.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
if you suspect a jumped timing belt that is not broke and still turns the cams, then do a compression check , if all cylinders are low then the belt probably has jumped a tooth or two.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You said no spark correct, then I would look to see what would be causing no spark. Is there current running through the spark plug wire? What does the spark plug look like (i.e. fouled to far of a gap or what) ask your son what the car was running like before it just died on him?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Well, if you're sure it's not the sensors, coil-pack, or relays/fuses then I think you're down to 2 choices for lack of spark - PCM or wiring. I'd look real close at everything else before starting down that road - though melted wiring would explain your burnt smell ... :dunno:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We broke down and tore apart the front of the engine and found the timing belt tensioner failed. The belt was still turning and was tight but it must have went slack and allowed the came gear on the drivers side to jump ahead 8 teeth. I'm assuming that the cam gears should be in sync with each other. As recommended on this site we are replacing the belt, tensioner and water pump. The only problem is that we can't get the bolt out of crank shaft pulley. I've seen some guys on here say that they got the new belt on without removing the pulley so we're going to try it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts