DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bandpass box with a ten and a regular box with the same kind of ten. Which one is better and why?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a pretty good Memphis amp to run it off, I like "raw boominess" but i also like tight punchy bass sometimes...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
first off, you thinking about building a bandpass or buying one?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link but I dont really understand all that jargon.

Johnny-I have a "4th order" bandpass box with one 10 in it. I found it in my garage. It came in my Bronco I had back in the day but I never heard it because the amp was cooked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you like to go BOOM BOOM through town and piss off al the nieghborhoods, generally a bandpass enclosure will do the job better rhan a sealed box.

Now, one box is not better than the other. They each have advantages/disadvantages.

A sealed bosx will be more forgiving to the woofer under low frequency conditions when you are beating the crap out of it. It also will yield a smoother response overall. But, its in a car, and a neat little thing called transfer function makes that sealed box BOOM anyway. so a woofer in a properly sealed box that sounds great and really accurate in your living room will boom and raise hell in your trunk!

A bandpass enclosure on the other hand is designed for a more narrow range of frequencies, usually about 2 octaves, or about 40 Hz to 95 Hz, give or take. even though the it limited in its bandwith of "sound", it will generally create greater SPL within that band of frequencies.

Example, put a 10 inch sub in a sealed box and lets say it does 100 dB in your car with 1 watt of power. take that same woofer and put it in a PROPERLY designed band pass enclosure and it will do 106 dB with 1 watt of power. Nice gain right?

Now, witha bandpass enclosure in the hands of someone who really doesnt know the limit of their amps, it WILL be a nightmare due to burned up voice coils and mechanical failures of the speaker. Why? due to the nature of the box. It naturally filters out the higher freqs. that indicate clipping of an amp, they also seriously unload the woofer at a point slightly below the lowest port tuning frequency ( in a dual reflex box especially, the type with the front and back of the woofer ported).

If you plan on getting a boom boom system going, and dont know the limits of your system, a sealed box would be best for you. If can respect your system and know when to stop turning up the volume, a single or dual reflex box will give you the most bang for your buck.

An additional note here, Buying X brand woofer and tossing it into a bandpass enclosure prefabbed for any woofer is NOT a good idea generally. Bandpass enclosures can be devastating to a woofer if not properly designed and built for THAT woofer. So unless you know a VERY experienced installer that really knows his ****, I suggest a sealed box. will give you the most reliable performance over the long run.

Hope that helps ya out a little

1 - 8 of 8 Posts