DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
differential

Stub shaft on passenger side of differential box is very loose on my ,97 intrepid . is it possible to fix it without taking the differential box out of the car chassis ???

·
Registered
407 Posts
We need a bit more to go on. Which way is it loose? Up/down, in/out, rotational? You sure it's the trans shaft that's loose and not the inner cv joint?

·
Registered
660 Posts
My 94 was the same way.... I wondered about it also, but it never seemed to cause any problem.

Called the dealer and asked them, was told they where often that way and not to worry about it.?????

Ran that way for a long time(20-30K), but the trans has since been rebuilt due to other problems. I have not checked the shaft since then, will need to see if it is still like that...

Anyway, no you can't do anything about it from the outside. The outside ring is a preload ring, but the book has very detailed instructions on setting it up, so I would not advise messing with it.

Mine probably moved a good 1/8 of an inch or more at what would be the end of the shaft if the CV was not on..

My 2 cents.

DR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts