DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 97 3.5 with 96,000km (about 60,000 miles) As far as I know the differential fluid has never been changed. I'm guessing I'm overdue? What is the best fluid to use, I've heard synthetic usually gives better performance and life in cars but I remember hearing someone from DINET post something to the effect that our cars aren't supposed to run on synthetic differential fluid.
What kinda $$$$ am I looking at to get this done anyway, I'm guessing its not easy to do yourself without any way to get the car in the air.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 75W90 full synthetic in my differentail for a while now with no issues, if anything, the drives/shifts smoother

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
i dont know about 1st gen for sure. but the helms manual specifically states NOT to use synthetic differential oil in your dif
First gen manual does state the same about synthetic.....Altho I have no idea what the problem with it is, since numerous member here use it with no problems.

I did however use non-syn when I changed mine, cause manual says so.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got bored this afternoon when it was raining, read my manual cover to cover and didn't see anything about what differential fluid to use or anything about not using synthetic differential fluid.

All I saw was that if you drive under regular conditions you will never have to change the differential fluid and if you drive under sever conditions you need to change it every 24,000km (15,000miles)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
Got bored this afternoon when it was raining, read my manual cover to cover and didn't see anything about what differential fluid to use or anything about not using synthetic differential fluid.

All I saw was that if you drive under regular conditions you will never have to change the differential fluid and if you drive under sever conditions you need to change it every 24,000km (15,000miles)
Should be at the very beginning, Chapter 0, "LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE" ...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not in my book, general info in Oil etc. is on the back cover, other lubrication and maintenance is somewhere in chapter 6 or 7 if I remember right. My manual says its a 97 Intrepid Owner's Manual "second edition" printed in U.S.A.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
This should help you !!

Drive Axle

FLUID RECOMMENDATIONS

See Figure 1

Fig. 1: Only use the correct type of gear oil in the differential housing

This vehicle is equipped with and automatic transaxle that includes a built in differential. The differential is on the right hand side of the vehicle and is not serviced separately. You can on the other hand drain the gear oil from the unit and refill. The type of fluid is SAE 80W-90 hypoid gear lube. The vehicle will hold only 1 quart (0.95L).

LEVEL CHECK

See Figure 2

Fig. 2: The fill plug is located on the side of the differential

Raise and support the vehicle.

Remove the fill bolt from the differential housing. Carefully place your finger into the unit hole.

Touch the inside of the unit and see how high the fluid is, if it is about to the top, the level is OK. If not, add fluid.

With the correct type of fluid, top off the unit.

Install the plug. Lower the vehicle.

Start the vehicle and check for leaks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
i dont know about 1st gen for sure. but the helms manual specifically states NOT to use synthetic differential oil in your dif
This is true. I read that somewhere when I had my first gen.I think it was in the owners manual that went with the car when I traded it in. Here is a word for word quote from my 2nd gen ('03) owners manual pg 202,recommended fluids,lubricants and genuine parts under the heading "Chassis".... "Axle Differential (front-rear)/Mopar Hypoid gear Lubricant(SAE 80W-90).Do not use Synthetic Gear lubricants."....In my opinion if the owners manual specifically says not to use synthetic ,I sure as hell won't use synthetic. I don't know why,and I don't need to know why. I can only guess that as with going to synthetic engine oil in some cases the seals will leak. I do not want to risk having synthetic differential fluid leak past the seals and into the transmission fluid or vice versa. This is just an opinion from a twisted mind that prefers to go by the book when maintaining my Trep.

·
Registered
110 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
If you drive: in the city; in stop-and-go traffic; a hot environment; etc. it is what they call severe conditions. I haven't seen someone drive under "normal" conditions since my grandmother.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.