DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 3.2 ES with push-button climate control.
all digital readouts display correctly. fan speed works great. a/c kicks on/off just fine.

airflow direction was wonky for a day, then stopped on defrost vent output.
there it remains, regardless of button-pushing or cursing.

where do i start investigating the (solenoids or similar) that physically direct the airflow?
thanks in advance for anything you guys might suggest.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Run the diagnostics test as outlined in this thread. Check for codes and let us know.

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
There are three actuators and 'doors' in the HVAC assembly: Blend (controls temperature), mode, and recirculation

It sounds like maybe your mode actuator is bad or the mode door is jammed. You could try putting the HVAC thru its calibration/diagnostic routine. The calibration may correct it, or the diagnostic may tell you that the actuator is bad.

From the FSM:

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
Sorry Ron. You posted while I was getting my info. together.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Slacker!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
error code: 36 ATC CONTROL COMMUNICATION FAILURE

would this happen to be a common ATC code, one with a TSB?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Have you disconnected the ATC head with the main battery still connected? Code 36 is common in those circumstances.You should disconnect the battery for several minutes and run the diagnostics again.

If you still get code 36 then could be one of the following:
ATC Head
Wiring
BCM

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
Ron - IIRC, it's been reported on the various LH car sites over the years that you also get code 36 if you run the diagnostics with the driver's door open.

clef - If you had the driver's door open while running the diagnostics, run them again with the door closed. Otherwise, ignore this post.

But also, like Ron said, if you disconnected ATC with battery stil connected, that will cause code 36. If so, disconnect battery for 15+ minutes to reset the code.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Just going by my personal experience Bill. The ATC always has Power/Comm to run the Aspirator motor to check the cabin temp when the drivers door is opened. I had disconnected the ATC head without disconnecting the main battery and always got code 36 after. Simply disconnecting the main battery and reconnecting always got rid of code 36.

The aspirator motor is behind the little vent slots under the "Big Knob". Seeing as how it runs when the drivers door is opened automatically even with the ignition off maybe that ties into the instances of the diagnostics not running correctly with the drivers door open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ATC now reports: 24 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR FEEDBACK FAILURE
Disconnecting battery and closing the driver door proved to be necessary.

Actuator just ordered from ebay ; under $20.

Does anyone have a convenient exploded diagram or an idea as to where I can R/R this?
Next to the blower motor? Behind the radio? Under 3 feet of dashboard? I did a search here for 'blower actuator exploded diagram' to look for a link (unsuccessfully)

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
There are threads on actuator R&R. Those and the FSM also help with locations of the 3 actuators. They're all under the dash on the HVAC unit and a little tricky to get to.

You may find that aftermarket (Dorman or re-branded Dorman) actuators flat out don't work. It's amazing the crap out there in aftermarket world. Better to get a working used OEM. Some have successfully mixed and matched parts from a non-working new Dorman with a non-working old OEM actuator to make a good one - there are a couple of threads on that too.

·
Premium Member
16,761 Posts
ATC now reports: 24 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR FEEDBACK FAILURE
Disconnecting battery and closing the driver door proved to be necessary...
File this under "Things momma didn't tell you". 😀

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a 15-minute job to me (I have a circular saw).
Thanks, everyone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts