DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can swap the normal dial controls for heat/air with a digital unit bt simply swapping, or is there more involved with the ECU and such??

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
Originally posted by david601:
Does anyone know if you can swap the normal dial controls for heat/air with a digital unit bt simply swapping, or is there more involved with the ECU and such??

Thanks
I looked in the Haynes manual and there is a difference with the way the heating system deals with the two units. There are two different blower motor options. The stock system just uses a blower motor resistor where as the ATC uses a power module instead of a conventional resistor. There is also a temperature sensor that needs to be added behind the right dash bezel where it says "Dodge" or "Chrysler." So far, that is the only info I could find. If anyone has done this or knows more on the subject I am very interested too as I want to swap out for the ATC. :p

SOMEONE ADD INFO!!! If anyone did this post it in the "How-to's". :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,427 Posts
it also needs a new 'body controller' it is the thing that conrolls the ATC(temp controls) OTIS (overhead console) and remote door locks. if you have any or all of those, you have the right body controller for the ATC. otherwise you need to upgade it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
This would be a big job, not only must you change all that was mentioned you must now wire the digital ATC unit to the computer.As the wire harness is built into the Instrument panel harness. big job .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hey, I swapped mine out for the digital ATC and had no problem. The ATC has its own ECU. The ECU in the ATC connects to the BOV which is routed through the MTA and the BET and ends up at the DER, which as you know goes from the RET to the ARD. So, obviously it doesnt need to wire up to the stock ECU and is a very simple swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
RET to the ARD



How many times do we have to tell you......... ;)
How did i know that pic was coming...lol

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Originally posted by Flaming93Trepi:
Hey, I swapped mine out for the digital ATC and had no problem. The ATC has its own ECU. The ECU in the ATC connects to the BOV which is routed through the MTA and the BET and ends up at the DER, which as you know goes from the RET to the ARD. So, obviously it doesnt need to wire up to the stock ECU and is a very simple swap.

Words words words.... :confused: Any detailed instructions for the laymen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Currently the most annoying song --> "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes."


AMEN TO THAT! YUCK!

So I tried swapping the two modules, and they have completely different wiring... Yuck. :(

One guy says EASY and seems to love acronyms, and the other guy says BIG JOB and doesn't elaborate much, so basically, we got 0 info to go on. What else is new :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
#1) you have a second generation Intrepid
#2) you are not considering swapping the temp. control units
#3) see my point?
#4) yeah I'd like more info about why this is a big job, or even to the contrary, why it is so easy, and I would not like a lot of words from guys with big attitudes and small brains
#5) just friendly, helpful advice, shouldn't be hard :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,503 Posts
242 said:
#1) you have a second generation Intrepid
Yes I do. :)



#2) you are not considering swapping the temp. control units
No I'm not.



#3) see my point?
No I don't as I never was trying to tell anybody if it was an easy job or if it was a pain in the ass. I was making fun of Flaming93Trepi because he was being a wiseass. :)



#4) yeah I'd like more info about why this is a big job, or even to the contrary, why it is so easy, and I would not like a lot of words from guys with big attitudes and small brains
#5) just friendly, helpful advice, shouldn't be hard :)
Well, like I said before, I thought it was clearly spelled out. It doesn't sound like an easy project. Here is why I think it was clearly spelled out.

Viprman wrote:
I looked in the Haynes manual and there is a difference with the way the heating system deals with the two units. There are two different blower motor options. The stock system just uses a blower motor resistor where as the ATC uses a power module instead of a conventional resistor. There is also a temperature sensor that needs to be added behind the right dash bezel where it says "Dodge" or "Chrysler." So far, that is the only info I could find. If anyone has done this or knows more on the subject I am very interested too as I want to swap out for the ATC.


Lafrad wrote:
it also needs a new 'body controller' it is the thing that conrolls the ATC(temp controls) OTIS (overhead console) and remote door locks. if you have any or all of those, you have the right body controller for the ATC. otherwise you need to upgade it.


ottwrkr wrote:
This would be a big job, not only must you change all that was mentioned you must now wire the digital ATC unit to the computer.As the wire harness is built into the Instrument panel harness. big job.


I guess the only thing that isn't spelled out is if someone wanted to go through the trouble of wiring the ATC unit to the computer, how would one do this, if it's even possible.

In that case, if that's all you wanted, than why didn't you just simply ask for a wire diagram? :)

Now as far as what Flaming93Trepi said, it sounds like a bunch of bullshit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
Hehe, I thought Flaming93Trepi was just being a smartass too :). Like that one Devito movie, where he's an english teacher at some military school, and he uses a whole bunch of abbreviations at the end... What's that one called???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
(german accent) I VANT A VIRING DIAGRAM!

Sincerely,
Franz Dietrich of Hanz und Franz

"I am Franz und this is Hanz, und we are going to pump, YOU, up."
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top