DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 digital cameras, only one that is a mega pixel. All are by AGFA. I like them, but when printing on an Epson 740 I was not happy with the quality of the prints. I used good gloosy or matte paper and had the settings for photo prints, but the 1440x1440 just wasn't all that clear. So I thought the printer wasn't good enough so I just bought a HP 952 2400x1200dpi. Same problems. Now I wonder if the camera software is causing the prints to be less than sharp. If I look at the photos on my monitor, there are SHARP, but when printed, so-so. For example hair looks muddy, no single hair can be seen. But on the monitor you can. Any ideas? I bought a new program from ulead for downloading and printing but haven't opened it yet. Waiting for ideas dkrhardy aka Don

·
Registered
127 Posts
An inkjet printer will never have the photo quality you are looking for. Remember, wet ink spreads on paper. You don't want that.

A good laser printer or a true photo printer will set you back alot of cash, but it's really the only way to get the quality you want.

EDIT: A true photo printer is known as a dye sublimation printer. Canon sells one for $500. A good Kodak dye sub printer will go for $3,000 - $5000.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: MacGyver467 ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to agree with Mac, you're not going to get perfect results with an inkjet. You can try changing the "print size" of the image though, which essesntially raises the dpi of the image, which gives it better "apparent" quality. (A 1400x1400 image at 300dpi will be roughly 3.3x3.3 inches, and be of moderate quality. At 600dpi, though it's going to be about 2x2 and good quality. Unfortunately, at that size, quality is largely irrelevant...)

1 megapixel cameras aren't ever going to give a photo quality printout at a decent size. 4 or 5 megapixel will give nice, big printed images.

There are many places that will print your images on expensive eqipment for a small charge, like Kinko's and Ritz Camera. Prices will vary, though. You can get pretty good results with that HP if you use HP photo paper as well.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: whytcolr ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts