DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night sitting at a light i was looking at the car infront and started to notice that everytime my subs hit my hids dimmed, then started to noice that all my neons are doing the same. i have my subs on -6 bass for the speakers and -5 for the subs both go from -7 to 7 now what can i do cuz there not even hitting at all. sugestions anyone

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while im waiting for someone to confirm that ill ask this one, my neons (underglow, also one hight front and high rear, 5 vent leds, 42 in rear seat pedels and 12 underpassanger) how should i be hooking these up, you think i should find some type of gauge wire run from battery to the neons and hook them all up to fuses but i mean thats still draining power form the battery

·
Registered
265 Posts
also might want to upgrade to a red or yellow top battery

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
hmm didnt know hids would dim.... they are usually all or nothing from my past experience. Not sure about ur kit tho. Do u have a harness for ur HID ... or just the stock one?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
look into optimum batteries. and confirm that caps hold the power for bass without the dimming of the lights in the car

·
Banned
439 Posts
unless of course the capacitor is drained... it's good for short bursts, but a constant bass line will give you the same result even with a capacitor

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
caps suck ass. idk im having problems with my bass hits i did new grounds and tighting all my connections and now the dimming is almost gone

·
Registered
692 Posts
capacitors are a waste of money and only mask problems that could become larger in the future. Your best bet is to upgrade your wiring, check your grounds or in a last case scenerio get an upgraded alternator. Capactiors are a way for stereo shops to make money off suckers

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
what size power wire are you running...if your not running 4 gauge...upgrade now

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
NoLedge said:
capacitors are a waste of money and only mask problems that could become larger in the future. Your best bet is to upgrade your wiring, check your grounds or in a last case scenerio get an upgraded alternator. Capactiors are a way for stereo shops to make money off suckers
I definitely need to disagree with that statement. Capacitors are very beneficial in many cases when powering subs. Better wiring and better grounds aren't going to change the fact that his amp is drawing more current than the car is capable of delivering. Ideally, an upgraded alternator would be the best bet, but if the problem is only with a sub amp on bass hits and its only drawing a little too much current, I don't see how a cap is a bad idea. I put a cap in mine to try and reduce the periodic high draws that can damage an alternator. I agree though that you should also make sure you have good wiring and a good, short ground but this most likely won't get rid of the problem. He says that the lights dim when the bass hits, so it obviously is only drawing too much current at these times. The capacitor will fill in where the amp draws more current(when the bass hits) to lessen the strain on the battery & alternator because it is capable of rapid discharge. It will then slowly charge up before the next large draw/bass hit occurs. I went through two alternators in my old car before adding a capacitor. I never had any problems after that. I'm drawing alot of current with my 1200W RMS high current amp, and with my capacitor my pillar mounted volt gauge doesn't even twitch when the bass hits. It is obvious that the capacitor is doing its job because my secondary voltage gauge mounted at the capacitor shows a dramatic decrease during bass hits. This is exactly what you want to happen, all the energy being taken from the capacitor so there is little or no effect on the rest of the electrical system. I can see what you guys are saying about it not really fixing the problem, and if you're drawing way more current than the car can provide and you have inadequate wiring, yes the cap won't solve your problem. But to say that the cap is totally useless is false as well. Without a cap you will have larger draws on the car's electrical system, and I can't understand why anyone would think that that is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I hear capacitators on your amp will get rid of this. Anyone confirm?
Wrong. Db will tell you that. You need to make sure you have sufficient gauge ground and power wires before you spend any cash on a cap. You also want to make sure your ground wire is as short as possible.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all righty well i guess a cap how many do i need. the gauge wire is 4 or under i know for sure intrepidrolin20s helped me with it so i know he knows what he was doing, i wanna redo my trunk soon and do some rewiring so while im doing that ill check the ground. i alwsome wanna install a gauge pod with my volts so i can see whats happening

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Did you bother reading any of the threads i posted?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Capacitors = a waste

I can think of 4 solutions that will work better than a cap. Sure, if you have a slight dim with your subs on low volume a cap might help. But odds are as soon as you crank it, it's back to Dim City.

Upgrade the "Big 3"
Upgrade your speaker wiring to 4 gauge at the very least.
Upgrade your alternator to the 160A.
Add another battery to your system.

If you want to spend money on a cap, send me a check and I'll come over and kick you in the nuts instead.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Wow, 4 gauge speaker wire? I don't even think I've seen it that big, nor will it connect to the terminals on any subs or amps I know of so I think thats a little excessive. Also, with the small system hes running I can't see any benefit from adding a second battery, unless he wants to run with the car off for long periods. The battery will just be another load when the car is running as the voltage is lower than the alternator output. I do agree with upgrading the alternator. It is the best solution to the problem. Like I said in my earlier post, caps aren't the magic solution that some people think they are but in the average non-competition system they can and do have benefits. As long as the amp isn't constantly trying to draw more current than the alternator can produce and the wiring is good, they will prevent periodic instantaneous large draws on the charging system which can damage the alternator. With my past experience, it just doesn't seem logical to me to not put in a cap especially for what they cost but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts