DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm trying to track down a small oil leak. Mostly I'm finding some oil at the back of the pan and on the structural collar. I'm not sure if parking uphill has anything to do with that, or the fact that I just switched to synthetic this last oil change about 1500 miles ago.

Back to the title. I've also found some fresh oil down on the dipstick tube, about even with the level where the pan meets the block. I looked up the instructions on removing the oil pan in the FSM, and step #1 says remove the dipstick tube. How does it come off and what seals it? Before I get under there again tonight to take another look at it, I'm hoping someone can answer my question so I can get an idea what I'm getting into. To me, it looked like there's a piece of the tube that is part of the oil pan, and then the rest of the tube slides over it. I'm thinking that could be where some oil is leaking and I might put some RTV on it to try to seal it.

Any input is, as always, appreciated. And better yet, pics would help before I even get dirty!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm probably not the best person to answer this question but I do know that several members recommend using a blend before switching to 100% synthetic oil. This helps the engine to get used to the new oil and probably helps condition the seals, or something like that. Someone add to this as I am also interested in the topic. Probably going to start the switch in a few hundred more miles, so any help would be awesome.

Josiah

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've read gradually switching over and some saying to just switch over. Besides that, I've noticed some oil and crusted oil on the back of the pan and collar before. It seems like I'm finding more now while there's synth in the motor than I'd see before with dino. Call it just paranoia that I'm noticing it more now or maybe it's gotten worse. I don't seem to be consuming more than in the past.

But back to what I was saying about the stick. There's oil on the tubing near the bend, and it looked like a spot where two pieces fit together. I'll have to get a better look tonight. Oh, and I've got some crusted old oil all over the seam where the pan meets block, just more of it at the back, which is why I mentioned the fact that I was parking facing uphill. I'm gonna start backing it in and see if that matters.

But anyone with info about the dipstick tubing is helpful.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Not sure about the engine oil dipstick tube, but I know that the tranny uses an o-ring around the tube for its seal. Maybe the engine oil tube is the same way?? Sorry I can;t be of more help there! :(

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I'm think the 3.3L has a fitting just above the lip for the oil pan that the dip-stick tube fits into. So, yes you're probably seeing the tube fit into a hole (in the block) and it probably uses an o-ring to seal it.

On a side note - if you haven't checked your valve covers and oil pan bolts lately you might want to do that. When we switched over to Mobil1 on the 3.3L it took ~1200 miles to start developing leaks. Most leaks were solved by tightening bolts, thank goodness ...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
D76G12 said:
I'm think the 3.3L has a fitting just above the lip for the oil pan that the dip-stick tube fits into. So, yes you're probably seeing the tube fit into a hole (in the block) and it probably uses an o-ring to seal it.

On a side note - if you haven't checked your valve covers and oil pan bolts lately you might want to do that. When we switched over to Mobil1 on the 3.3L it took ~1200 miles to start developing leaks. Most leaks were solved by tightening bolts, thank goodness ...
Sorry guys. I already got into it about 2 hours ago when I got home from work. I found there is a bracket on the tube, bolted up to the bracket for the PS pump. Got that off and pulled the tube out of the oil pan, only to find that the wiring harness was snapped to it on top. What a f***ing PITA to get that thing off. I finally got it out and the o-ring seemed to be ok. I cleaned it up and the hole in the oil pan where it goes, applied some RTV onto it and put it back in. Not too sure if it was the wource of any of the oil I'm finding, but it should be sealed now.

As far as the valve cover bolts, I don't think they are the issue. I haven't found any oil up top, only at the bottom, all around the seam between pan and engine. Besides that, leaking valve covers will get onto the exhaust manifolds and I know that smell all too well. No all the oil I've found is all around the pan. A majority of it is at the back and on the collar. I haven't taken it off yet to look further. The passenger side of the engine/oil pan look a lot cleaner than the driver's side. Also there is some old, drying oil where the pan, block and timing cover meet. I would think that if the timing cover were leaking, it'd be dripping straight down. Oh, and I checked all the oil pan bolts that I can get to and they're all nice and tight.

At this point, it hasn't been dripping onto the ground, and I don't seem to be going thru oil any quicker than normal. So it doesn't seem to be bad yet. I dumped a bottle of Bar's engine oil stop leak in this morning for the hell of it. Tonight I cleaned everything off real good, so in a few days I can take a peak and see if it helped or not. I don't believe in cheap, quick fixes, but right now I ain't got time to deal with this.

BTW, I did mention I used synthetic this past oil change (almost 1500 miles ago and no it wasn't Mobil 1). I started another thread a few days ago and haven't really gotten much success. I was wondering about Chrysler MS-6395, Chrysler's oil standard. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, and what could happen if an oil were used that didn't list MS-6395 (like engine damage or leaking, etc..) Major reason why I ask is because the brand of synthetic I used didn't list it as meeting Chrysler's MS-6395. So at this point, I may or may not stick with synthetic. If I do, next time will be Mobil 1 (meets MS-6395), otherwise if I go back, it'll be back to the Havoline dino I was using (also meets MS-6395).

Oh and before I forget, thanks for the input you guys thru in there. Its just too bad I got into it before reading the posts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts