DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone bought and tinted their own windows (% doesnt matter) using the tint from autozone, napa, etc. etc.? and how much of a pain was it for the back window? im curous if its easier to let somone else do it or try it myself.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I've done it many of times with decent results... but not on a trep. The back window would most definatly need to be done in strips.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yes, at least 2 strips it took to do mine. had a guy do it for me. 1st gen windows are big.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i hear i owned a 1st gen, and now i own a second gen! reps for all!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im trying to remove mine (It was cracked up alot)
Any advice on how to remove this stuff ? It pretty hard to reach into corners, etc.
I wanna have a guy put in new, but need to scrape away the old first :(

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
on my first gen they used only one peice, 2 peices is never a good idea, cuase it is almost impossible to get it exactly right

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Have it done at a shop that guarentees their work for the life of the car, then you never have to worry about it again for the rest of the time you have the car. It's well worth it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Did mine years ago on my 80 New Yorker.

Here is a tip use a black pinstripe on the top edge of the tint and it will seal and wrap a bit on the top of the glass!

·
Registered
565 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Have it done at a shop that guarentees their work for the life of the car, then you never have to worry about it again for the rest of the time you have the car. It's well worth it.
:werdsign: Get it professionally done with a lifetime warrenty...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I done tint a few times on some cars and buildings. It's easy when you have the right tools. Just a tip though, you cannot go past the black pinstriping on the back window. Most professionals don't do it because it will make the tint bubble or come undone. Easiest thing to do is get a vinyl outside of the window to cover it after you tint it. A friend of mine that owns a 02 maxima found this out the hard way but he already had the vinyl on his back window. Or you can always take a razor blade and windex and scrape off the black pin stripping but may result in a scratched up window.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boom! said:
Im trying to remove mine (It was cracked up alot)
Any advice on how to remove this stuff ? It pretty hard to reach into corners, etc.
I wanna have a guy put in new, but need to scrape away the old first :(

i believe they make stuff for that at autozone... i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are trying to remove window tint get a hot hair drier or preferably a heat gun. Once you get a corner started the whole thing will come off within about five minutes. Just get a buddy on the outside of the car to work the heatgun. That little heat makes a lot of difference.

If you tint yourself remember the cleaner the better so clean it like 40 times then crape it with a razor and clean it anohter 40 times then it ought to be almost clean enough. I always end up redoing at least one window because I get a crease or tear in the tint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
how much would it cost to get it done at a shop?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Woah...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts