DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts

There has been a new iteration for the intake side of things, it did get a fresh lick of paint (Battleship Grey by Krylon)

And speaking of intake...

Test fit the SRT4 intercooler to see. Going to be using a different intercooler that's a little bit smaller tho. Took inspiration from rotary's and V mount setups because of the shape of the bumper.

And plans are to go with a Mishimoto MMINT-UZ

Need to mount it properly with mounts to the underside yet but should approximately position to be like this when all is said and done

Also made the 'executive decision' to relocate the washer fluid reservoir into my trunk and mount an oil cooler and remote mount my oil filter to the area behind the drivers side fog light. Also going to turn the fog light into a 'funnel' for the oil cooler.

Still need to make up the oil cooler hoses as well as duct the back side of the cooler to get the air to travel through it cleanly. The downside to this setup up, it may require bumper removal to change the oil filter.

As for the washer fluid, the tank is being placed in the trunk with a smaller capacity tank from a 80's ish Mopar truck, then just going to run fuel vapor hose the length of the car to the front. MAY make the level sensor work so I can keep from having to bleed the system on a regular basis. Presently on a push to get a transmission back into the car so I can get everything else sorted out and get back to driving this thing and making further refinements to the various changes I have made.

·
Registered
35 Posts

My one parts car gave up its engine and transmission. It's a 2000 3.2L, so I will be rebuild/upgrade this engine. Mostly fresh gaskets, bearings and seals with mild boost friendly enhancements (drop in compression, larger gap in piston rings). There will be a build for that later.

Yes, I split the engine from transmission on a pre cut pallet, and the decision to split FROM the torque converter was because I had never heard the engine run, was told it 'made noise' and had pulled the heads off it 2 years ago so I wasn't certain that the engine would turn over. Upside, it does spin over easily so it should be a decent starting point for a rebuild.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another update! Life got in the way with the world going crazy, so updates took a bit longer to happen, but they are here now!

Transaxle got loaded and taken to the carwash to get a few years worth of road grime removed, and next step is to throw some new seals and transfer over some sensors then it should be ready to go back into the car.

Also got my final door panel installed after having to source one from a junkyard. Did not swap over the chrome handle or window switch just yet, there is still a future plan for changing the door panel cover with suitable fabric down the line to make all the panels match and sharpen up the look.

A glance through the dusty window

Really can't wait to get these mounted!!

I will need to record a close up with the GoPro and make a video for the channel of the depth of this colour!

·
Registered
35 Posts
FINALLY got my mirror mounts back.

Not real carbon fibre, just wrap on the aluminum mounts I made. I think they turned out great! High quality vinyl.

Not as high gloss as the mirror, but it looks good. Looks much better on the car.

Note the Superbee and Sattelite in the background.

This next picture is positioning the phone facing forward on the door panel and not aimed at the mirror glass.

Can see a large portion of the CRX behind the car as well. This is almost where the mirror will be. I will probably spend a lot of time trying to figure out the exact position I am happy with for my driving position, then mark it and tighten down the main arm then use the nyloc nuts I have to mount the mirrors so its set. Downside/upside they will be exactly were I want them to be and aren't easily adjustable so other drivers can't adjust them at all, but they are convex and very wide angle so that may not be an issue unless they are really short.

The passenger side mirror is awaiting proper new glass since it got cracked and the first glass to arrive was too large for the housing.

Hopefully this week I will tackle the oil cooler hoses and get a proper measurement so I can make the new washer fluid line from the trunk and swap over the rear wheels and do a good amount of the assembly I need to do so I can get it back on the road soon and enjoying it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Threw my 18's back on, and I am super happy how this looks. I also took care of the oil cooler lines and got the upper rad support bolted in, next step is to tackle mild things on the transmission and get it ready to be installed

I'm really glad I chose this colour and would not 'just settle for something on the shelf' And the red accents look striking

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! I'm excited for when I get the other mirror back from the glass shop. Should help make the passenger side look 'finished'. Hoping this week to tackle a bunch little things and maybe get the transmission ready to go in as well, mostly want to tackle the seals on it and the gears at the back, then its just making sure I have all fresh fluids and filter kit ready to go back in. And should clean the other trans pan as well and find the temp sensor

·
Registered
35 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hammered out a bunch of work on the transmission this past Saturday:

Drained the Diff, pulled the cover and differential gear,
pulled the transfer shaft,
pulled the seals.

Then it was reassembly time, thankfully having pulled apart my other transmission and cleaned a few parts previously saved some time!

Installed a new bearing (SKF 6907-VAW) on the transfer shaft I pulled from my first transmission,
Installed the new seals into a clean diff cover, installed the output / transfer shaft seal,
Installed the transfer shaft,
Reinstalled the diff, and the diff cover.

Then spun the transmission around and swapped over the rear gear-set for the set of 3.89 gears from my old transmission. Other than being a bit hard on the back, it all went swimmingly well with the transmission on a milk crate.

And finally I put the torque converter in.

Just needs fluids in the differential and she is ready to be installed. I'll add pictures to this post or another post after.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, my car is finally home. Still doesn't have the transmission in, but its home, inside my own shop space. So the next step is to install the transmission right?

Not exactly, I need to first crawl underneath and see why there was only 3 of the 6 subframe bolts to hold the transmission in place. Always great fun when someone else touches your car but doesn't keep hardware organized other than 'tossed in the trunk'

After I sort that issue out (already sourced 6 new grade 8 bolts with washers), the next step is going to be inter-cooler mounting and pipe routing, which may make no sense at all, but lacking a hoist at home, the easy button for transmission install is going to be pulling the engine, attach the transmission into the engine (and the starter, transmission cooler hard lines etc..) the reinstall everything as a single unit which means the engine bay will be open and clear again so I can fix my engine bay paint job that I'm not happy with (was rushed to get it done so prep work was sub optimal) and since intake piping may require some cutting and welding in the engine bay, I may as well get that planned out ahead of time then clean everything up while I have the engine out right?

After reading through an article on Mishimoto about inter-coolers (Linky) I am thinking I will go with 2.25" to feed to the inter-cooler then run the rest at 2.5" up to my throttle body, supposed to help maintain flow after pressure loss across the inter-cooler. I am fairly certain that with my power numbers currently it won't make a huge difference, but may assist with any lag that adding the inter-cooler to the setup may have incurred.

Photos coming soon, especially as I start cutting and making things happen!

281 - 290 of 290 Posts